Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to see RBR catch up with 2018.
Maybe somebody is interested in custom Ti? People stumble onto RBR through Google searches all the time... That’s where most of thread dredges come from. Two years ago I was actively looking at custom frame builders and I never stumbled over Serotta being reborn. Who knows, maybe this points a customer to them?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Their Ottrot model (carbon ti) was some of the best riding bikes ever made for centuries. I can say this with certain absoluteness after having own various top end carbon bikes from the big makes

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
According to what I've read he's only making 100 bikes. CapoVelo.com - Ben Serotta Wants to Build Your Next Titanium Frame I have a feeling all 100 of those bikes are spoken for. These are $11,000 bikes too, you can equal quality for less than half that price, unless paying $6,000 to have a Serotta decal on the bike is what you want.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to what I've read he's only making 100 bikes. CapoVelo.com - Ben Serotta Wants to Build Your Next Titanium Frame I have a feeling all 100 of those bikes are spoken for. These are $11,000 bikes too, you can equal quality for less than half that price, unless paying $6,000 to have a Serotta decal on the bike is what you want.
There is absolutely no good reason, beyond the fetish, for a frame to cost that much. The variability in performance is negligible. It’s cycling jewelry.

Good looking stuff though...

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,416 Posts
If I were to go custom, I would go with a Gunnar frame:

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
There is absolutely no good reason, beyond the fetish, for a frame to cost that much. The variability in performance is negligible. It’s cycling jewelry.

Good looking stuff though...
Good looking? I can't see any difference between Serotta's $11,000 bike and my (at the time) $2,800 Lynskey Peloton! The welds look the same, the tubing looks the same, all TI bikes come with CF forks so they all look close to the same, the tubing design all looks the same; Serotta may have etched in their name onto the frame, but Lynskey and others can do that too.

So a person isn't paying $11,000 for a TI bike that looks unique in the industry, they're buying the name, and I hate to say it, but Lynskey has been building TI bikes far longer than Serotta has, Lynskey is the grandfather of TI bikes, his company is the master by which all others learn, Lynskey created the cold working ti method that all others now copy. So if I wanted a "bling" name, Lynskey is the one that I would want. I didn't buy mine for that, I bought mine because they had a closeout sale back in 2013 and got a great deal on it that no other TI manufacture could match except for one...Motobecane, which was actually cheaper, but they were out of stock for over a year and half, and then the Lynskey sale came up so I pulled the trigger on it instead.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,416 Posts
Good looking? I can't see any difference between Serotta's $11,000 bike and my (at the time) $2,800 Lynskey Peloton! The welds look the same, the tubing looks the same, all TI bikes come with CF forks so they all look close to the same, the tubing design all looks the same; Serotta may have etched in their name onto the frame, but Lynskey and others can do that too.

So a person isn't paying $11,000 for a TI bike that looks unique in the industry, they're buying the name, and I hate to say it, but Lynskey has been building TI bikes far longer than Serotta has, Lynskey is the grandfather of TI bikes, his company is the master by which all others learn, Lynskey created the cold working ti method that all others now copy. So if I wanted a "bling" name, Lynskey is the one that I would want. I didn't buy mine for that, I bought mine because they had a closeout sale back in 2013 and got a great deal on it that no other TI manufacture could match except for one...Motobecane, which was actually cheaper, but they were out of stock for over a year and half, and then the Lynskey sale came up so I pulled the trigger on it instead.
As @PBL450 said, it's cycling jewelry. I agree that paying $11K for a bike frame is crazy foolish, but then again speaking of jewelry, people pay thousands of dollars for a tiny rock that sits on a finger.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
As @PBL450 said, it's cycling jewelry. I agree that paying $11K for a bike frame is crazy foolish, but then again speaking of jewelry, people pay thousands of dollars for a tiny rock that sits on a finger.
Except my wife didn't want me to spend that kind of money for a tiny rock, she wanted a nice honeymoon instead, she got a rock, just not $11,000 one, more a like a $1,000 one, of course that was back in the 80's and gold went skyrocketing, I think the honeymoon was around $4,000 to $5,000 but that again was in the 80's, in today's dollars, yes that's pretty darn close to $11,000 if you include the rings. Obviously I'm not a movie star or a big sports person so I can't show off the $million-dollar ring for her.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. There is no decent reason to make frame from Ti. It’s an awful material for bike frames. It’s stupid expensive for no advantages. I spent loads of time scouring frames for my last build and Lynskey was an immediate out. You couldn’t give me a Lynskey frame. The feedback on here is just terrible. The company is awful. Ti is hard to work with and offers no advantages. Steel has been made so light. My steel Merckx frame is 3 1/4lbs. You aren’t getting much beneath that with Ti. It is a fetish.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Yes. There is no decent reason to make frame from Ti. It’s an awful material for bike frames. It’s stupid expensive for no advantages. I spent loads of time scouring frames for my last build and Lynskey was an immediate out. You couldn’t give me a Lynskey frame. The feedback on here is just terrible. The company is awful. Ti is hard to work with and offers no advantages. Steel has been made so light. My steel Merckx frame is 3 1/4lbs. You aren’t getting much beneath that with Ti. It is a fetish.
You're the only one that has hate for TI and for Lynskey, you must be a troll.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I've had two ti bikes and I loved them as much as you can love material objects. And PBL, you certainly wouldn't understand, one of those is a gravel bike which I currently own. Has a bit over 1 cm travel in the rear triangle to soften the bumps and no pivot points on the frame. That's hard to do with other materials. Ti makes a gorgeous riding frame, albeit you have to pay a premium price. And I agree about your comment on Lynskey bikes.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had two ti bikes and I loved them as much as you can love material objects. And PBL, you certainly wouldn't understand, one of those is a gravel bike which I currently own. Has a bit over 1 cm travel in the rear triangle to soften the bumps and no pivot points on the frame. That's hard to do with other materials. Ti makes a gorgeous riding frame, albeit you have to pay a premium price. And I agree about your comment on Lynskey bikes.
1cm travel on a Ti frame? How is that done?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,416 Posts
What about Litespeed? 😏

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
1cm travel on a Ti frame? How is that done?
Moots YBB pivot. The seatstays wishbone into the seattube and that’s where the travel is. The chainstays are normal and are able to flex. I’ll post a pic later when I’m on my pc. I believe another manufacturer did something similar with a scandium frame.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about Litespeed? 😏
I don’t recall seeing any negative content about them? What I don’t get is why deal with the difficulties of Ti now that it has no weight advantage? Steel is lighter than ever and CF puts them both to shame. Now,
Moots YBB pivot. The seatstays wishbone into the seattube and that’s where the travel is. The chainstays are normal and are able to flex. I’ll post a pic later when I’m on my pc. I believe another manufacturer did something similar with a scandium frame.
That’s very cool! Ti doesn’t weaken from the repetitive travel? Isn’t scandium Al? I thought Al can’t flex because it develops stress cracks?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts