Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cycling buddy used to be a big Serotta pusher and loved to talk up their bikes. One month ago his bike cracked in the brazed on front derail bracket and broke. No big deal right, Serotta has a lifetime warranty. The plan was to have a local bike builder remove the bracket and go to a clamp on until we talked to the local dealer who ensured him that Serotta would back up the failure. He took pics and emailed to Serotta who stated they needed to see the bike to really evaluate. The bike gets boxed up and sent to them. Two weeks go by and we have to call them. They stated that yes it is a defect and they confirmed it with their evaluation. They are willing to cover 40% of the bill. What??? In the same breath they admit a defect and then state that the owner must shell out hundreds of dollars for a repair. No way, ship the bike back. One week goes by and no bike so the LBS calls. Serotta is waiting for a $125 check for warranty evaluation. You have to be kidding. Finally the LBS manager gets this waived but he does owe $50 in shipping. I have dealt with Specialized two times on warranty and this is unbelieviable. They definatly lost several customers on this one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i would suggest he post this to the serotta forum

there are some die hard serotta enthusiasts there, also watched by the serotta folks...
maybe this would create a stir.
www.serotta.com/forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, so we can only post good things and not problems. I was not bashing or using vulgarity, just telling the story so new cyclists hear about good and bad experiences.

·
pass the hot sauce
196 Posts
Actually I think he is just suggesting that the other forum might get you more traffic and perhaps a little positive peer pressure in that forum will help Serotta do the right thing.

Or are you talking about the Serrota hosted forum itself? Did they remove your post?

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,451 Posts
jason8265 said:
My cycling buddy used to be a big Serotta pusher and loved to talk up their bikes. One month ago his bike cracked in the brazed on front derail bracket and broke. No big deal right, Serotta has a lifetime warranty. The plan was to have a local bike builder remove the bracket and go to a clamp on until we talked to the local dealer who ensured him that Serotta would back up the failure. He took pics and emailed to Serotta who stated they needed to see the bike to really evaluate. The bike gets boxed up and sent to them. Two weeks go by and we have to call them. They stated that yes it is a defect and they confirmed it with their evaluation. They are willing to cover 40% of the bill. What??? In the same breath they admit a defect and then state that the owner must shell out hundreds of dollars for a repair. No way, ship the bike back. One week goes by and no bike so the LBS calls. Serotta is waiting for a $125 check for warranty evaluation. You have to be kidding. Finally the LBS manager gets this waived but he does owe $50 in shipping. I have dealt with Specialized two times on warranty and this is unbelieviable. They definatly lost several customers on this one.
Based on my experiences with Serotta and their bikes, I suspect that there is more to this story than you've posted. I've not heard of Serotta trying to weenie out of a legit warranty claim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not sure what other details there could be. The derail was the braze on style that is a weak design that I think they have since abondoned. They orignally thought from the pictures that it was ridder abuse and said they had to see the bike. Once they saw it they said it was a long term fatigue crack (bike is about 8 seasons old) and that they would offer the 40% warranty coverage. It turned out that we got the frame back, popped off the lug and converted the bike to a clampon but it was really frustrating with the process. The LBS which is the largest here in Kansas City stated that they really have had a change of opinion in Serotta after this experience. I don't want to really bash on them because I know they make great bikes and maybe we got the wrong warranty guy. The thing that these companies need to realize is that this story will get told and told locally and will probably steer a dozen bike sales in the local bike club away from Serotta. On the flip side, I just had a great warranty experience with Cane Creek and I can't wait to buy more of their products and recommend them to others.

·
Registered
712 Posts
this is true only

for the "politics only" forum here...

naw, in reality, i was just offering another venue that may prove more informative, if not useful for this matter.

jason8265 said:
Interesting, so we can only post good things and not problems. I was not bashing or using vulgarity, just telling the story so new cyclists hear about good and bad experiences.

·
titanium junkie
661 Posts
jason8265 said:
I am not sure what other details there could be. The derail was the braze on style that is a weak design that I think they have since abondoned. They orignally thought from the pictures that it was ridder abuse and said they had to see the bike. Once they saw it they said it was a long term fatigue crack (bike is about 8 seasons old) and that they would offer the 40% warranty coverage. It turned out that we got the frame back, popped off the lug and converted the bike to a clampon but it was really frustrating with the process. The LBS which is the largest here in Kansas City stated that they really have had a change of opinion in Serotta after this experience. I don't want to really bash on them because I know they make great bikes and maybe we got the wrong warranty guy. The thing that these companies need to realize is that this story will get told and told locally and will probably steer a dozen bike sales in the local bike club away from Serotta. On the flip side, I just had a great warranty experience with Cane Creek and I can't wait to buy more of their products and recommend them to others.
This problem seems like an easy fix for them but if they cannot and will not deal with it then how we cannot expect them to deal with something more serious. Glad you found a way to fixt it!

·
Kevin g
6 Posts
I don't know that Serotta offers a lifetime warranty. I do know that they offer a 5 year protection plan. Is it possible that the warranty on your friend's bike has expired?

I've been hanging around the Serotta forum for about a year and have yet to see any posting about someone getting jerked around by serotta over warranty repairs.

Kevin g

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Here is Serotta's warranty

<table border="0" bordercolor="#ffffff" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="772"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="652">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" bordercolor="#336699" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="bodyText">Great American Bicycle LLC, Serotta, warrants Serotta products to the original owner as follows:

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText" bgcolor="#336699"> Lifetime Warranty On Workmanship And Materials
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText">Serotta provides a lifetime warranty on Serotta Frames, Serotta Titanium Stems, and Serotta carbon and steel forks against defects in material and workmanship to the original owner.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText" bgcolor="#336699"> Warranty Registration
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText">The warranty registration card supplied with the product must be completed and returned to Serotta by the original purchaser within (30) days of purchase of the product to validate the warranty. If you are not satisfied with your Serotta product upon delivery for any reason please contact your Authorized Serotta Dealer within (30) days.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText" bgcolor="#336699"> Defective Parts
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText">Upon receipt of dated proof of purchase, Serotta will repair or replace any of the above described parts that are defective in materials or workmanship, at its discretion. Serotta reserves the right to repair, replace, discontinue, or change parts, models, and products, or to make substitutions.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText" bgcolor="#336699"> Exceptions To Coverage
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText">Serotta does not warrant against: malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, exposure to the elements (rust), normal wear and tear, neglect, improper assembly, use of parts not consistent with intended use, accident, stunt riding, jumping, commercial use, or failure to follow instructions or warnings.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText" bgcolor="#336699"> Voiding Of Warranty
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText">This warranty will be void if any alterations or modifications, including the application of paint, are made by anyone to the product without express written authorization of Serotta.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText" bgcolor="#336699"> Claims
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText">To make a claim under this warranty, contact the dealer from whom the product was purchased. Repair or replacement of defective part(s) under warranty will be at the discretion of Serotta and handled through the Authorized Serotta Dealer. Please retain original receipt as proof of purchase.</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText" bgcolor="#336699"> Limitations of Warranties
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText"> ALL OF THE ABOVE WARRANTIES ARE IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. COVERAGE UNDER ANY OF THESE WARRANTIES DOES NOT INCLUDE INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.
ANY QUESTIONS RELATIVE TO THE TERM OF OR OBTAINING PERFORMANCE UNDER THIS WARRANTY SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE CONTACT INFORMATION BELOW.
Serotta Bicycles, 41 Geyser Road, Saratoga Springs, New York 12866
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- InstanceEndEditable --></td> </tr> </tbody></table>​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#336699">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#336699" height="30">
</td> <td> </td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff" height="35" valign="bottom">

Contact Us
© 2006 Serotta Competition Bicycles
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
1,451 Posts
I'm wondering too if the owner of this "8 seasons old" Serotta is the original owner? Like I stated earlier; I've not know Serotta to try to weenie out of a legit warranty claim. An example was posted on the Serotta forum not long ago when a Serotta owner sent his 10 year-old CSi back to Serotta for a refurb and repaint. In the process, Serotta discovered a loose drop out in the F1 fork (a Serotta product) and replaced the fork, no charge, under warranty.

Like I said earlier; I think that there is much more to the OPs story than has been told.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not only do I expect great warranty service I demand it. I won't be considering a Serotta bicycle any time soon after reading this post. If they are concerned with what the hi-end bicycle consumers think and state about there products I would expect someone from Serotta to be checking this forum on a regular basis to ensure that there reputation is maintained.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serotta warranty = lifetime

Serotta offers a Lifetime warranty on Serotta Products. See site for details http://www.serotta.com/pages/warranty.html

Listed in the warranty section:

Exceptions To Coverage
Serotta does not warrant against: malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, exposure to the elements (rust), normal wear and tear, neglect, improper assembly, use of parts not consistent with intended use, accident, stunt riding, jumping, commercial use, or failure to follow instructions or warnings.

The Original post had a frame issue with a front Braze-on. When it arrive at Serotta, the Braze-on had rusted through. We offered the discount to fix the frame even though we do not warranty rust.

Thank You

·
Kevin g
6 Posts
Serotta said:
snip...The Original post had a frame issue with a front Braze-on. When it arrive at Serotta, the Braze-on had rusted through. We offered the discount to fix the frame even though we do not warranty rust.

Thank You
I knew there had to be another side to this story. Thanks for the clarification.

Kevin g

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Serotta said:
Serotta offers a Lifetime warranty on Serotta Products. See site for details http://www.serotta.com/pages/warranty.html

Listed in the warranty section:

Exceptions To Coverage
Serotta does not warrant against: malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, exposure to the elements (rust), normal wear and tear, neglect, improper assembly, use of parts not consistent with intended use, accident, stunt riding, jumping, commercial use, or failure to follow instructions or warnings.

The Original post had a frame issue with a front Braze-on. When it arrive at Serotta, the Braze-on had rusted through. We offered the discount to fix the frame even though we do not warranty rust.

Thank You
Steel is real.

But you can keep it.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
On the other hand.... What's up with the $125 warranty evaluation charge. That's just a disgrace attempting to charge an inspection fee like that. In my book, Serotta has lost all credibility after a move like that. The next thing you know they'll jack repair cost up to $1,200 so the guy only has to pay $480. Makes you wonder if we're talking about a little pitting or some serious deterioration. I'd like to see the photos on this one.

BTW - I own a Legend Ti and think it's a great bike, but I'll look elsewhere next time.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
jason8265 said:
I am not sure what other details there could be. The thing that these companies need to realize is that this story will get told and told locally and will probably steer a dozen bike sales in the local bike club away from Serotta. On the flip side, I just had a great warranty experience with Cane Creek and I can't wait to buy more of their products and recommend them to others.
You think they don't realize this? Serotta is a quality company and their reputation will not be tarnished in the least by this. They will not be held hostage to invalid claims. Having said that, it is possible that they blew this one. Only you and they know the facts. I would be interested in the rational for the 40% and whether there was communication between Serotta and the dealer concerning an warranty evaluation fee. Would the dealer be big enough to admit they made a mistake?

People hearing this story will take Serotta and your reputation abd credibility and judgment into consideration when making their decision. Don't overestimate your influence concerning a company with decades of history and credibility. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
841 Posts
B2 said:
On the other hand.... What's up with the $125 warranty evaluation charge. That's just a disgrace attempting to charge an inspection fee like that. In my book, Serotta has lost all credibility after a move like that. The next thing you know they'll jack repair cost up to $1,200 so the guy only has to pay $480. Makes you wonder if we're talking about a little pitting or some serious deterioration. I'd like to see the photos on this one.

BTW - I own a Legend Ti and think it's a great bike, but I'll look elsewhere next time.
What's up with what? I don't personally know the details here -- I've never seen the bike in question; as far as I know, I've never met the owner of the bike in question; and I haven't been privy to any of the conversations that may have taken place between the owner, the owner's shop, and Serotta. I have heard many reports of people very satisfied with Serotta's warranty service and, even, their out-of-warranty service for a rider I've actually met. So we have one e-mail post from somebody we don't know who doesn't even claim to be the owner of the bike in question. At least on Serotta's account, there seems to have been some serious rust at the derailleur clamp, which suggests improper care and maintenance of a frame that's seen more than a few moons (in most climates, it just doesn't take that much upkeep to keep rust in check on a steel frame for quite a few years -- decades). On Serotta's story, they offered a heavily discounted repair on damage that was not covered by warranty. Various charges went up and down, including repacking and shipping. Maybe they did or didn't drop the ball from a PR point of view, and I'm in no position to say whether this frame should have been handled differently, but apart from all the usual doubts about ad hoc reports from strangers on the Internet, we have the basic fact that the original poster did not claim to be the owner of the bike and that, at least on Serotta's account, seems to have left out a very important detail in the story. Are we really confident that we've learned particular facts about Serotta's warranty service from this post? Is that how a company that's been around for decades "lost all credibility"?

·
1,451 Posts
Serotta's life time warranty IS worthy!

A direct quote from a Serotta customer: "I had a similar problem with a Serotta frame years ago. Seven years after I purchased the frame, it cracked at the shifter bosses. I talked to Serotta, they offered no promises, but agreed to check it out if I sent it back. RA number in hand, I boxed the frame and UPS'ed it to Serotta. Six weeks later, I received a new frame with a note: "After examining the frame, Serotta concludes it could very well have been a manufacturing defect, so a new frame is included at no charge to you. Thank you for your business."

Full context of discussion can be seen here: http://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30681

1 - 20 of 49 Posts