Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've absolutely tortured these T11 hubs over the past couple years through all weather riding and not having time to clean. I believe both rear and front need servicing/new bearings. Before I go to the LBS I'd like to take a shot at servicing them.

I believe the rear just needs to be cleaned with new bearings and load set properly. Things sound crunchy back there. Just use the WI manual? Anyone taken these apart have any advice?

The front hub - I don't know what's going on. Def sounds crunchy - but the main problem is the wheel won't stay centered. I've tried new skewers - but every once in a while I just have to push the wheel back into place. Any thoughts on how this could happen with a new skewer tightened properly?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Video on adjustment/maintenance of front T11. It sounds like your adjustment collar may be off, but if the wheel is moving in the dropouts, and you need to push it back into place then that's a fork and/or skewer issue. Another thing to check that is very rarely an issue is of the adjustment-side end cap fits snugly in the axle. If it just drops out of the axle, then things can get freaky. WI would probably send you a new end cap if you asked, or send you a replacement for low cost. But a wrap of teflon plumber's tape will be an excellent temporary/permanent fix to it. Again, this is a very rare issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOEbl_pWnKM

The WI instructions are excellent - easy to follow and comprehensive.

·
Registered
429 Posts
As a home mechanic who serviced/rebuilt my T11 rear hub a few months ago for the first time, I will tell you it's very straight forward process. I just followed WI's own online PDF for the job and had no issues whatsoever. The only caveat is that if you're going to replace the bearings, if you don't have a bearing press (most home mechanics don't) then at least make sure you have a good range of large sockets to hammer the replacement bearings in. You'll need two relatively large sockets (I don't remember the sizes off hand) that very closely match the outside race diameter of the bearings to ensure they aren't damaged when replacing them.

I think the whole process took me 1-1/2 hours at a leisurely pace, with the cleaning and rummaging through my tools to find the right sockets taking the longest time.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The front hub - I don't know what's going on. Def sounds crunchy - but the main problem is the wheel won't stay centered. I've tried new skewers - but every once in a while I just have to push the wheel back into place. Any thoughts on how this could happen with a new skewer tightened properly?
http://0104.nccdn.net/1_5/20e/108/245/FRONT_HUB_OVERHAUL_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Have a look at step 5 near the bottom. I think that'll explain why your wheel won't stay centered.

·
Registered
429 Posts
An 8" length of 3/8" all thread and some fender washers combined with the sockets makes a workable bearing press. Hammering bearings in kind of freaks me out awful bad and it's preventable with about $2.37 worth of parts.

Otherwise, spot on!
Great advice about making your own home bearing press. Though in my case when I said "hammer", really only a light tapping was necessary- WI's machining quality is impeccable.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
These are not White or even bicycle hub specific bearings. "anywhere" would be an exaggeration but for example the last time I needed a bearing for a bicycle I got it from an auto parts store.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Got mine from Art's Cyclery. They carry the good Enduro bearings and sometimes you can catch a great sale price too.

Note: They won't have carry the wide OEM bearing WI uses in it's rear hub, but you can just double-up on a standard size bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts