Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I need to set the crown race myself on my fork (Steel fork with steel steerer) was thinking on either using a piece of copper pipe, or PVC and setting the race... anyone tried this or have a better idea ... i actually have 3 that i need to do... thanks.

Or should I just suck it up and take it to my lbs...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
You're asking for a judgement call. Whether or not you should try it yourself depends on your mechanical aptitude. I'm not a mechanic but have a pretty good feel (aptitude) for it. When I tried to fit a King crown race onto a Colnago fork I could tell that hammering wasn't the answer. My LBS had loaned me his slide hammer but warned me that if the race didn't hammer down fairly easily to not use too much force. It turned out that the crown needed to be faced with a special tool before the race could be hammered on. I think in most cases the race can be hammered on without the "facing" but it's a judgement call.

Al

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
get the right tool?

A piece of 1" copper tube about a foot long works fine for a 1" steering tube, but there is no standard pipe or tube size that mates well with a 1-1/8" steering tube, so I'd buy the real tool or just take it to the LBS for this size.

All the 1-1/8" headsets I've installed had split crown races that required no tools, so I haven't been forced to buy a crown race setter yet.

It's good to have a micrometer or calipers handy to insure that the steering tube is no more than about .004 larger in diameter than the race ID. If it is, you'll never get it pressed in place.

Sorry, but I posted to Al1943, by mistake.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,772 Posts
I used PVC pipe on a 1 inch steer tube a couple of months ago and it worked fine. I used all the homemade tools that folks talk about here for a complete headset removal and installation and it all went pretty smoothly.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Depends on the race (AL is much easier to damage than the steel ones, and some require special shaped adapters between the race and the slide hammer) and the fork (whether the crown needs to be faced).

·
Registered
376 Posts
I also use PVC pipe

Just take the race with you to Home Depot (or any hardware). Cost you a couple of bucks for an 18" to 24" piece. Just be sure one end of the PVC has a good perpendicular cut. Get the right diameter for the race, then use a rubber mallet to hammer on the end of the PVC.

I also put a little Phil Wood grease on the steer tube to help. Works great, and very cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts