Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 Litespeed Obed which I use as a gravel road bike now. I'm thinking about using it as my back up bike in the pits in case I need it.

I'll need to swap out my shock for a rigid fork, slap on some skinnier tires and lose the ergons with bar ends. but is there anything else I should consider doing?

One thing I noticed is the obvious frame geometry difference between the cross and hard tail bike and how much higher my seat post sits on the litespeed. should I drop the seat a bit during races? having a 30in inseam makes it challenging throwing my leg up over the saddle.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd leave the seat alone until you have a chance to test it out. But, if the BB is really tall, you might have to make an adjustment.

Possibly a different cassette, or chain-rings, if you want to spend the money.

Tiers - you don't need to go skinny. Just something that rolls well.

Really, though, if this is just a pit bike for breakdowns, and not planned swaps, I'd be tempted to leave it alone, unless you really don't use it elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BB is a bit higher, but I agree. if it's only going to be a back up may not be much sense in messing with it. I already have some skinnier tires for it so I'll slap them on.

considered making it a 1x9, so if I go through with it i've got an old race face crank that I could use.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
In my local series, bar ends are not allowed. Aside from that... I started my '08 season on my mountain bike. Stripping the bar ends was the only change.

It really motivated me to get a "real" cross bike, though. How much do you use your pit bike?

·
Registered
39 Posts
c-lo said:
One thing I noticed is the obvious frame geometry difference between the cross and hard tail bike and how much higher my seat post sits on the litespeed. should I drop the seat a bit during races? having a 30in inseam makes it challenging throwing my leg up over the saddle.
I'm not quite following this. Your seat height should be similar if not identical between the two bikes. If not, one of the two doesn't fit you.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that would be the Litespeed. it's a '93, bought it off a buddy of mine after he broke it. He sent it back to Litespeed who rewelded it and when he got it back decided he didn't want it.

It is just a little big for me but there is a difference in sizes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You could use a shorter rigid fork to steepen the head and seat angles, and drop the BB height. I did this with one of my MTBs that was designed for an 80-100 mm suspension fork. I put a much shorter rigid fork on it-the front end is around 50mm lower, and the bb probably 20mm lower. It handles much more like a CX bike than it did before the swap. I like it.

I did a couple of CX races on it when the conditions were very slippery, and it worked well. The experience was remarkably similar to racing my cross rig; I felt as though I was going to puke the whole time. Shouldering the bike is a pain compared to a true CX bike-but it's not a deal breaker.

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
I'm bringing my Jamis Dragon to muddy races as a backup bike and I'm leaving it alone. I'll just lock the fork out and that's it. In really sloppy muddy stuff, I may even start the race on the MTB. There were a few races last year in which that would've been a good idea.

If you're using this bike as a B bike, just keep it simple. I wouldn't bother adding new parts to the bike one wouldn't use much -- I'd rather spend more money and time on my primary mover.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting.! Yeah this bike is designed for only a 85mm travel no more. I'll have to look into that.

darkmother said:
You could use a shorter rigid fork to steepen the head and seat angles, and drop the BB height. I did this with one of my MTBs that was designed for an 80-100 mm suspension fork. I put a much shorter rigid fork on it-the front end is around 50mm lower, and the bb probably 20mm lower. It handles much more like a CX bike than it did before the swap. I like it.

I did a couple of CX races on it when the conditions were very slippery, and it worked well. The experience was remarkably similar to racing my cross rig; I felt as though I was going to puke the whole time. Shouldering the bike is a pain compared to a true CX bike-but it's not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Jawn P said:
I'm not quite following this. Your seat height should be similar if not identical between the two bikes. If not, one of the two doesn't fit you.
The seat is probably the same height relative to the BB.

But, the mountain bike likely has a taller BB, so the seat is further from the ground, making a running mount a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Unless you have someone who is willing to wash and swap your bikes during a race, a pit bike is nothing more than DNF insurance, and you shouldn't stress over it.

And you should only have someone washing/swapping your bikes if you are racing the highest category and can bring the noise.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not stressing. During the first lap of capital classic last year I flatted on the front. If i had a spare set of wheels, or a bike I would not have been forced to finish the race on a flat tire.

I like options. just because I'm racing in Cat3/4 35+ doesn't mean I'm not competitive and I won't give up just because I have a mechanical that could end my race.

pretender said:
Unless you have someone who is willing to wash and swap your bikes during a race, a pit bike is nothing more than DNF insurance, and you shouldn't stress over it.

And you should only have someone washing/swapping your bikes if you are racing the highest category and can bring the noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts