Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the Lounge for all the support during the house shopping/mortgage application process. You guys are tremendous.

Movers came Saturday and came in a couple hundred $$$ below their original estimate. It helped that we cleaned out the entire town's liquor stores of empty boxes (never knew there's SO MANY types of booze out there, wow) and packed/schlepped all the small stuff ourselves over the past couple of weeks. The movers were also avid cyclists :thumbsup: awesome troop of guys that do one helluva job. My father even dropped by to sit and watch, and reminisce (?) about the times we had to move, and what houses cost back in the day.

Basement was set up to accommodate the cat as much as possible. She peeked out of the Sherpa bag and ducked right back in, but eventually crept around before disappearing behind the old slop sink stashed under the basement steps. She continues to duck back there when we come down, but this morning, I talked her into coming upstairs to check out the first floor. She whined when she realized I wouldn't move the boxes to let her up to the second floor, but still has more inspecting to do downstairs.

Last night, we were lounging on the one couch, exhausted from scrubbing down the old apartment, when the doorbell rang. It was the next-door-neighbor, with a banana nut loaf that she baked just for us. A Post-It note with well wishes was stuck to it, and she let us know that if we had any questions, she and her husband have been there for 20 years, so feel free to ask. After a bit of chat, we went inside, and I started thinking about how nice it was to be moving into a place of our own after decades of renting. Got me a little choked up to be honest!

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I am still embroiled in a short sale situation. 2 months into it. But I am really flexible and saving more and more money every day for those eventual expenses I'm going to incur. Stuff like extra furniture, a lawn mower, etc. I keep telling myself that the longer I wait, the more I can save, and I'm getting a good deal on the place to begin with. Anyway, glad to hear you finally made it in there, post some pics of the place.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with the short sale, I wish we could've gone that route and pocketed the savings. But they seem more of a myth around here. That would be worth the wait!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hang in there on the short sale, but continue to monitor the situation closely. We had one short sale that the bank sat on for months, forcing us to look elsewhere. We found another home nearby that was just as nice and the same price, so we jumped on that short sale and it closed in just over 2 months. The first one (which we were sure to recind our offer on as soon as we decided on house #2), finally called shortly before we closed on that house. The bank countered our offer (which had already been recinded), with a price higher than the original asking price!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Christine said:
she and her husband have been there for 20 years, so feel free to ask
Like what day is garbage day, to get rid of some of those boxes... :)

Congrats on the big move!

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
WaynefromOrlando said:
Hang in there on the short sale, but continue to monitor the situation closely. We had one short sale that the bank sat on for months, forcing us to look elsewhere. We found another home nearby that was just as nice and the same price, so we jumped on that short sale and it closed in just over 2 months. The first one (which we were sure to recind our offer on as soon as we decided on house #2), finally called shortly before we closed on that house. The bank countered our offer (which had already been recinded), with a price higher than the original asking price!

I am afraid that the bank may counter offer. My offer is pretty fair considering there are no appliances, but if I know banks, they will try to get as much out of me as they can. I am really pretty much maxed out at that price, and I didn't put in any concessions to pay for closings costs. I think the bank would be stupid not to accept... but... banks are often pretty stupid.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's nice when a move goes well

and a nice neighbour to boot
Congratulations

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Christine said:
Last night, we were lounging on the one couch, exhausted from scrubbing down the old apartment, when the doorbell rang. It was the next-door-neighbor, with a banana nut loaf that she baked just for us. A Post-It note with well wishes was stuck to it, and she let us know that if we had any questions, she and her husband have been there for 20 years, so feel free to ask. After a bit of chat, we went inside, and I started thinking about how nice it was to be moving into a place of our own after decades of renting. Got me a little choked up to be honest!
When we bought and moved into our house one of the neighbors across the street did the same thing. That was 7 years ago and they are the best neighbors we could ask for. Hopefully yours will be the same.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Aweome.......houses are nice.....but nice neighbors are the best.

Len

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Just let us know the address and we'll throw you a housewarming party.

Congratulations!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts