Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride an old Bianchi but am looking for a new bike. I like to ride 3-5 days a week for 2-3 hours a day. My favorite ride is in the canyons or hills but I like any long ride that's beautiful. I'm looking for something in the $3,500 - $5,000 range. I'm interested in Serotta, Seven, Scott or anything else that you recommend. I like a good stiff bike but very light also. What do you recommend?:rolleyes:

· Registered
73 Posts
Serotta

My 2 cents - Serotta for the best customer service - and maybe the best bike. My current Serotta Concours is my best riding bike ever. I've also owned Colnago, Seven, Crumpton, Cannondale and others. I ride M-F, 2-4 hours a day - it's nice being retired.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Kind of an apples and kumquats comparison, two really expensive custom houses specializing in titanium with complementary steel and CF products vs. an off the rack CF brand built in Asia. Do you really know what you're after? Is doing a custom frame your intent?

I understand Serotta vs. Seven, but I don't see how Scott fits in the equation any more than any other product - Look, Specialized, Trek. etc.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Serotta, Seven, Scott
Why do you feel these frames are better than most?
Would you consider a bike that costs $1500 to $2000 that rides just as well?
Do you have any need for top of the line components?
Do you want to impress people, or do you want something understated?
Do you have any need of a "custom" frame? (9 out of 10 people can ride a frame off the shelf.
Are you serious about riding and training, or is this a "lifestyle thing"?

Pardon me, if my questions seem mean, but I see too many riders riding equipment that's way over their head. Cycling has become like golf, with hackers using a $1500 set of clubs.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Wow! The difference between Seven and Scott is vast. Seven is dialed in to your exact measurements and desired riding style/purpose... Scott is mass produced by the thousands as alternative, slightly more expensive label for a Giant, a much cheaper brand. If you are considering Scott, throw in the Giant TCR into consideration...same factory and R&D team.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just want a good fit

Mr. Grumpy,

I actually was looking at $2,000 bikes at first because I would rather spend less but they seemed heavy or not light enough and not my size. The main reason I want a new bike is because mine doesn't fit and it hurts to go on long rides. I was recently fitted and I'm a size 52 but have a top tube size of 54.5 which is usually a size 54 which is why I think I might need a custom frame. I have a short torso and long arms and legs. If I'm going to spend money on a bike I want it to be one I can keep for 5-10 years, that fits me well and that I love. My sisters all own Serotta's and love them. My brother in law has a very, very expensive Scott and says it's his favorite bike. I also like the idea of a very light bike. I would consider myself a serious biker. I've had 2 bikes in the last 20 years and spent less on them and have regretted it. They never fit well etc. Also, I don't need campy components and I don't care to impress.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
A custom Calfee Tetra may meet your requirement and could be had in that price range I believe.

I looked up Calfee dealers and Canyon Bicycles in Salt Lake City is listed as a dealer. Their website also boasts that they were rated as Seven's #1 dealer this year and have been a top five Seven dealer six years running. They do not list Calfee on their website but the dealer I found in Ohio did not list them either. I confirmed via e-mail that the Ohio was indeed a dealer. Incidentally, Canyon Bicycles does not list Seven either on their website.

They do list Waterford and Parlee which are of the highest quality. Gunnar is Waterford's non-custom line and is of the highest quality also. If they also do Seven and Calfee then they must be pretty good. I would go there and discuss your needs and let them measure/size you and see what they recommend. Sounds like a good place to start.

BTW - I have no specific knowledge of Canyon Bicycles and am not in the bicycle industry and would financially benefit from these observations, in case that is a concern.

BTW - I have a Serotta Legend that I purchased at 1/3 the list price in a standard size as a lightly used demo from the Serotta Garage. I love my Legend and also liked the Serotta Fierte that I rode prior to the Legend very much also. You may not be able to get a custom Serotta that fits your specs in the requested price range. If a Couer D' Acier is light enough for you that could be had for your price and if stock works a Fierte Ti or steel would be a great choice for less money if you don't really need custom.

A fitting is the place to start and that will tell you if any stock sizes will work for you or if custom is an absolute requirement. That will increase the price and limit the field. There are a lot of high quality custom steel frame builders that could meet your price and maybe your light weight want. In the end, if you need custom then fitting should be your highest priority with weight a distant second.

· Registered
841 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Serotta, Seven, Scott
Why do you feel these frames are better than most?
Would you consider a bike that costs $1500 to $2000 that rides just as well?
Do you have any need for top of the line components?
Do you want to impress people, or do you want something understated?
Do you have any need of a "custom" frame? (9 out of 10 people can ride a frame off the shelf.
Are you serious about riding and training, or is this a "lifestyle thing"?

Pardon me, if my questions seem mean, but I see too many riders riding equipment that's way over their head. Cycling has become like golf, with hackers using a $1500 set of clubs.
What the heck is a bike over somebody's head? Is there some special trick to working Dura Ace brifters versus 105 or Tiagra brifters? Record versus Centaur?

Lots of people are happy with off-the-rack framesets (that's what I have after riding quite a few years and dropping quite a bit of coin) and, indeed, a well-chosen off-the-rack frame might vastly outperform a poorly fit or poorly designed custom, but the OP's budget is her budget and a short torso -- relative to the norm -- might be a perfectly good reason to think about a made-to-measure frame if it's within her budget. It might be a nice way to get the right balance as well as the right contact points.

The typical advantage to getting a less expensive bike is just that it's less expensive. That can be important if you have a tight budget constraint PERIOD, or because you're still figuring out what you want and don't want to blow too much while you're developing and learning and mulling things over.

As for her initial question, Serotta can build a great bike, but not all fitters are created (remotely) equal. I'd do some asking around (not a little) about who is who in a given area. Some of their stock frames (HSG for race, but that's not a short top tube; Fierte IT for a "sport" frame that offers both a 52s and a 54s that could possibly work, and that might be available for test rides if that would be of interest). For somebody 5'6" especially (but not only), a custom steel bike with the right parts and wheels might fit and ride great without getting into the upper stratosphere on price.

· I don't exist
2,036 Posts
Dean!

You can get a very fine DEAN Ti or CF/Ti, custom fit. Withe what ever component level/combo you desire.

Excellent Cust Service. Made here in the US (Colorado)

I do not work for them.

I do own a DEAN though.

· Worker Ant
199 Posts
you list 3 nice mfgrs. based on what you said in one post you have a unique size issue. with that in mind, i'd suggest you go custom which puts the Serotta and Seven as your top choices. Serotta would get the nod since your sisters own them and who better to give you a true evaluation. not that Scott is a wrong choice, but if it don't fit then don't go for it regardless of your bro in laws info. you don't state what type of material you want the bike to be made of. Seven, Serotta will give you some nice choices between steel, Ti or carbon. but so will Independent Fabrication, IF. i think what you should do first is to find your size with a proper fitting, which you already did. so the MOST important thing is accomplished as long as the fitting was done correctly. so now you need to figure out what you want your frame to built out of. once you do this, then you can narrow down who will build it for you. if you want steel then you will have a lot to choose from. plenty of Ti builders also and not so many with carbon as compared to the other 2 materials. being as small as you are i think if you chose steel you can wind up with a frame that will be VERY close in weight to carbon and Ti. i'll assume your pretty light since you ride quite a bit, so with the newer lightweight steels, you can get a nice light bike with that "steel feel". Ti and carbon will be nice and light too, so overall your gonna wind up with a light bike. is the price range you listed for a complete bike or just a frameset? that will also determine the direction you go in. choice of material and how the money is being spent will help you and us with your question.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.