Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm going to be locating to the Berkeley/SF area this summer and want to know if there are any good bike stores around that area, and where they might be. I'm living on UCB campus, and will be bringing my fixie, so hopefully a store that can work with that.

Also, is SF/Berkeley a cycling friendly place? any tips and or places to avoid?

Thanks in advance,
OG in Canada

·
Registered
321 Posts
The area definitely has its bike culture, so you should be able to ride just fine.

Berkeley is basically located on a hill, so a fixie will either hurt or make you real strong. Lots of fixies in SF itself, particularly in the Mission area (which is relatively flat).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Berkeley Area bike shops

Missing Link- the shop for commuters, has some good road equipment & excellent clothing. Free DIY repair area with tools.

Mikes Bikes- big shop, caters more to the MTB crowd, some good mechanics, limited (Specialized mainly) accessories. Not much clothing.

Velosport- the 'old roadies' shop, especially for tourers & for people still riding steel. Some good eclectic parts & accessories. Good tire selection & the place to go if you need parts for your '75 Motobecane.

Left Coast Cyclery
- I don't visit this one much, seems to be a boutique shop. Their mechanic has a great reputation.

The Pedaler (n El Sobrante)- Old school shop wiht new & old stuff. The place is packed with bikes & parts. Friendly staff. some good deals on clothes too.

Cycle Sports (actually in Oakland)- a shop for high end roadies. good stuff

Wheels of Justice (in the Montclair district of Oakland)- good all-around cool shop.

·
confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys thats very helpful. i'll probably hit up a few of these while i'm there, i managed to get my crank pedal threads stripped and will need a replacement arm... flying tomorrow so that means i need to repair it there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.