Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a.k.a... I hate road work.

They just started the repaving process on a road that I have to commute on. Right now, it's all torn up from scraping the old pavement off. On my way home on Tuesday, they were cleaning up from the day's work, and had the giant street sweeper creating a huge cloud of dust that I had to ride through. Luckily, I was able to hold my breath the whole way through the cloud, even though it was uphill and probably 50-100 yards of cloud.

This morning, they had probably 3x as much pavement torn up. So as I went through a small intersection, I jumped up onto the sidewalk. That really wasn't much better, and up in the distance, I saw people on the sidewalk, so at the next opportunity, I went back onto the street.

miserable.

And to be honest, completely unnecessary. The road was in great shape. I don't get it. They do this unnecessary road work when there isn't enough money to do the big jobs they need to do, such as actually building new roads. They recenty tried to add some new taxes, and had to refund everyone who paid them, because they were found to be illegal. So now they spend all this money to repave perfectly good roads?

I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I'm doing route maps for new commuters as part of a bike commute promotion program put on by our local transit authority. I did one last week where I directed the rider onto one of this "shake out your fillings" roads vs send them over a longer and much more trafficed path and seriously considered which was the lesser of two evils.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could take a longer, less safe route. I'm debating that for the ride home, but for the ride in, where time is more of a factor, I decided against it.

to be honest, I'll probably ride the vibrating road home, because the other route is considerably less safe. There are sidewalks, but highly used by people who speak little to no English. And even the bell is wasted on them.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yessereee, Bob. Herndon Parkway.

I was glad I rode it home last night. They had already paved the whole length I ride home. Sweetenss. But not really any better than it was before. Just blacker and shinier.

This morning was lameness. Hoping that by Monday morning they'll have the other direction done. Not counting on it.

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Yessereee, Bob. Herndon Parkway.

I was glad I rode it home last night. They had already paved the whole length I ride home. Sweetenss. But not really any better than it was before. Just blacker and shinier.

This morning was lameness. Hoping that by Monday morning they'll have the other direction done. Not counting on it.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they were re-doing that either....

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
BTW - you can bypass that part of the Herndon Parkway, unless they're repaving other parts I don't know about...

From Crestview go straight through the light. Left on Sterling Road. Right on Elden Street and then do what you gotta do from there.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
A necessary part of my commute is on the shoulder of a state highway. The pavement is relatively smooth, but it is covered in gravel, pieces of tire, and other road debris. Climbing it is ok since I am doing 12 mph tops, but in the morning I am descending on it at 30+ mph. It makes my brain hurt. The county also cut rumble strips between the shoulder and lane on most of the roads I use. To turn left or go around a parked car, you have to death grip the bars to keep control of the bike.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
There is a part of my commute that has gotten particularly bad with a growing chain of potholes lately. I actually snapped a spoke when riding home the other day because a truck was coming up right next to me and I had no room to avoid the worst of it. It's one of the narrower spots, so slowing down too much with vehicles coming from behind can be dangerous. Between a spoke and my teeth, I'll take the broken spoke. :)

What, no pictures?

Here is Beach Dr. after a flood in 2006. This part was being prepared for repaving and then the rains and flooding made it even worse.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
For a while there I thought you were referring to Valencia in San Francisco. I rode my bike in to work today and when I got to Valencia I found that it was being torn up for repaving. It's good that they are repaving it as this is one road that has a bike lane and the surface was really bad but the road surface this morning was so rough that riding it was next to impossible. I made a quick right and rode over to a different street to get me to the office. I can't wait until they lay down fresh asphalt and, hopefully, Valencia will be a smooth street for cyclists to ride to downtown on.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brick Tamland said:
BTW - you can bypass that part of the Herndon Parkway, unless they're repaving other parts I don't know about...

From Crestview go straight through the light. Left on Sterling Road. Right on Elden Street and then do what you gotta do from there.
Brick,

Yeah, that's the other way I could go. I have to go up Centerville Rd (from under the Dulles Toll Rd), up to Elden St, and I hate that road (Centerville). The sidewalks are crowded, there's no shoulder, lights every 200 yards and parking lot entrances every 100 feet. I'd rather deal with the cut up pavement on Herndon Parkway.

Do you commute on the W&OD around there, or ride it during rush hour? I'm wondering if we've ever crossed paths out there.

·
Registered
735 Posts
They probably tore up a road that didn't need it because if they didn't spend the money already budgeted- they would loose it. Strange how that works. And the bad sections of road keep me on cross bike. That little extra clearance and the wider tires go a long way.....................MTT:rolleyes:

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Squidward said:
For a while there I thought you were referring to Valencia in San Francisco. I rode my bike in to work today and when I got to Valencia I found that it was being torn up for repaving. It's good that they are repaving it as this is one road that has a bike lane and the surface was really bad but the road surface this morning was so rough that riding it was next to impossible. I made a quick right and rode over to a different street to get me to the office. I can't wait until they lay down fresh asphalt and, hopefully, Valencia will be a smooth street for cyclists to ride to downtown on.
That's the one great thing about roads torn up for repaving. Fresh asphalt soon after!

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Brick,

Yeah, that's the other way I could go. I have to go up Centerville Rd (from under the Dulles Toll Rd), up to Elden St, and I hate that road (Centerville). The sidewalks are crowded, there's no shoulder, lights every 200 yards and parking lot entrances every 100 feet. I'd rather deal with the cut up pavement on Herndon Parkway.

Do you commute on the W&OD around there, or ride it during rush hour? I'm wondering if we've ever crossed paths out there.
I do commute on the W&OD, but I get on where it crosses Elden street in downtown Herndon and head east. I ride the westerly direction on the W&OD when out for weekend rides.

Another option for you would be to take Monroe to the other side of the Toll Road, but that would probably be a less-direct route.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brick Tamland said:
I do commute on the W&OD, but I get on where it crosses Elden street in downtown Herndon and head east. I ride the westerly direction on the W&OD when out for weekend rides.

Another option for you would be to take Monroe to the other side of the Toll Road, but that would probably be a less-direct route.
I wonder if we ever crossed paths years ago. From 2001 through mid '06, most of that time I commuted to Reston from Sterling. Got off at RTC and went across the bridge to my office on Sunset Hills.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.