Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
fuzzy legs
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've officially entered the world of psycho-cross. A long time mountain biker, turned pseudo roadie last year, now pseudo crosser.

After a year of hum and haw, I decided to look at a cyclocross bike to commute on and play on some local singletrack.

Heres' the new beast:

<img src="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=658&stc=1"border=6>

Kona Jake the Snake, pretty much stock with team colors. I managed to find a Winwood fork in town here at a ridiculously good price and put that on there as well. I'll be interested to see how the wheels hold up to trail use. They sure do look pretty though.

A view from my backyard singletrack:

<img src="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=659&stc=1"border=6>

A pic of yours truly, the happy owner, with an all too serious look on my face. "Did I set the timer right?". I'm really excited to test the waters with this new bike. I can already feel upgrade-itis setting in.

<img src="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=660&stc=1"border=6>


Cheers,
Brad.

apologies for the double pic error.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Good choice...

...Jake is a bit more aggressive than some other bikes I've ridden, without being uncouth; from my perspective, that makes it a good singletrack bike. I predict your other bikes will be getting lonely, because 'crossers can just about do it all. I can't remember the last time I rode a MTB.

Those wheels seem to be much more durable than they have a right to be. I have a set of the R535s (about 2 years now) and they haven't gone even slightly out of true, which is amazing considering that I'm a Clydesdale and probably shouldn't even be on these things.
 

·
fuzzy legs
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Walrus said:
Those wheels seem to be much more durable than they have a right to be. I have a set of the R535s (about 2 years now) and they haven't gone even slightly out of true, which is amazing considering that I'm a Clydesdale and probably shouldn't even be on these things.

That's great to hear. My concern when choosing the wheelset vs. (ultegra/open pro) was they're durability, stiffness, and strength. Of course the decision ultimately came down to esthetics, like it usually does :D . The other set was pretty beat up anyway. The 540's felt really good considering the short time I was on the bike.

I was absolutely amazed at how smooth a cross bike is on bumpy stuff. I expected it to feel much like my road bike but it was really smooth. Very cool.

b.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
congratulations! very sweet looking ride. i'm still waiting for my frame and then i too will be a newly pseudo cross rider. cheers to you for getting out in the snow. pretty cool to have some singletrack in your back yard!

i gather from your handle and image that you're a chiropractor? i was always skeptical of chiropractors as i'm somewhat opposed to any sort of external body maintenance that must be done indefinitely. after my back gave out with the last straw being, of all things, reaching down to get some cookies out of the oven, i was desperate and went to a highly recommended local chiropractor. she saved my back and even gave me some tips that have helped my riding - climbing in particular. and she's very cool about giving me the tools to maintain my own body when possible. gotta love that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
The Walrus said:
Those wheels seem to be much more durable than they have a right to be. I have a set of the R535s (about 2 years now) and they haven't gone even slightly out of true, which is amazing considering that I'm a Clydesdale and probably shouldn't even be on these things.
Do you mean to say that you've been riding singletrack on those wheels for 2 years without problems? Does that include rocky terrain with babyhead-sized rocks?

I will be building a 'cross bike soon and am wondering about the durability of low spoke count wheels on rocky singletrack. In my case, a wheelset with 28-spoke Velocity Aerohead rims. I'm not a big rider (135 lb), but I wouldn't mind tackling some rockier terrain on the 'cross bike in addition to fire roads.
 

·
aka Zonic Man
Joined
·
593 Posts
jnichols959 said:
i gather from your handle and image that you're a chiropractor? i was always skeptical of chiropractors as i'm somewhat opposed to any sort of external body maintenance that must be done indefinitely. after my back gave out with the last straw being, of all things, reaching down to get some cookies out of the oven, i was desperate and went to a highly recommended local chiropractor. she saved my back and even gave me some tips that have helped my riding - climbing in particular. and she's very cool about giving me the tools to maintain my own body when possible. gotta love that.
You just gave him the biggest stiffie.
 

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
Joined
·
673 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.

Nice back yard! Like others, I too am curious about how well a low-spoke count wheelset will hold up. I have a pair of Bontrager Race X-Lites that I'm *considering* using for cx next season (of course I still need to buy my frameset, group, etc.!). Keep us posted on that wheelsets long time durability.
 

·
fuzzy legs
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right you are sir.

I am a Chiropractor, in Calgary. Great to hear about your experience there, pretty neat stuff.

Most of the skepticism that exists, exists through people who have never actually gone through the experience.

Hope it keeps going well for you.

cheers,
b.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
I probably just jinxed myself...

...by remarking on my good fortune with the wheels--I expect I'll snap 3 or 4 spokes when I'm 10 miles from the trailhead, in the middle of mountain lion country. :rolleyes:

For the record--I'm in SoCal, so it's perhaps less common for me to encounter babyheads and savage roots than it would be in, say, New England. If there's one thing riding a 'crosser on singletrack does, as with a rigid MTB, it's to force a rider to learn to pick the absolute best line, even if it means not being totally gonzo, dude. I don't crawl along the trails or baby the bike, but I do ride "lightly" (best way I can describe it).

Below is my particular take on the 'cross-bike-with-Shimano-wheels thing
 

·
ex pro grad student
Joined
·
68 Posts
sanrensho said:
In my case, a wheelset with 28-spoke Velocity Aerohead rims. I'm not a big rider (135 lb), but I wouldn't mind tackling some rockier terrain on the 'cross bike in addition to fire roads.

I have had very good succcess with a pair of Rolf Vector wheels. They actually came with my Trek X0-1 when I bought it. I thought I'd have to replace them out, but they take a lickin' and keep on ticking...

Being an idiot, I hit some serious rocks under some leaves. Bent my fork (steel so I bent it back) but the wheels were unaffected. Now that is a nice pair of wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Shimano wheels

The Walrus said:
...by remarking on my good fortune with the wheels--I expect I'll snap 3 or 4 spokes when I'm 10 miles from the trailhead, in the middle of mountain lion country. :rolleyes:

For the record--I'm in SoCal, so it's perhaps less common for me to encounter babyheads and savage roots than it would be in, say, New England. If there's one thing riding a 'crosser on singletrack does, as with a rigid MTB, it's to force a rider to learn to pick the absolute best line, even if it means not being totally gonzo, dude. I don't crawl along the trails or baby the bike, but I do ride "lightly" (best way I can describe it).

Below is my particular take on the 'cross-bike-with-Shimano-wheels thing
Well, after seeing your pics & reading your comments, I went out & purchased a used set from a local rider. He had the WH-6500 for sale, Cdn$400. It was a really great deal considering the front wheel is brand new & the rear wheel is slightly used. Now, all I need is an 8spd cassette to replace the 9spd & we are good to go!
I' ll keep you posted on how they perform, considering I bent my front Matrix Aurora last season, in the root & single track race in Mirabel, Quebec. I was certain the same tree was out to get me 3 times. Look! It's the idiot chinese guy! Stick your limb up when he passes! Kind of like Lucy & Charlie Brown with the football.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
arctic hawk said:
I' ll keep you posted on how they perform, considering I bent my front Matrix Aurora last season, in the root & single track race in Mirabel
Yes, keep up posted on how the Shimano wheels hold up. Don't forget to include your weight, though:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
sanrensho said:
Yes, keep up posted on how the Shimano wheels hold up. Don't forget to include your weight, though:)
I'm 5'-7" & 155 lbs. My weight does not fluctuate much from winter to summer thankls to the gym. I am not sure if I will race CX with these wheels but I am anxious to put them on the road & trails as soon as weather permits. The roads in Montreal are kind of rough & there is a nice park in the middle of the city, Mount Royal, where the women's World Cup race is held. Most cyclists use the mountain for training for climbs as will I.
I tried to mount my Michelins Jets yesterday but realized that the stem of tubes I have are a tad too short on the rim. I never owned deep rims before. Bummer! Need to make a visit to a shop, hopefully at lunch, I can pop out of the office to pick up what I need.

A-Hawk
:)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top