Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats to him....first black athlete to win an individual gold at a winter games, Kudos man....

Bode...WHAT THE F......you only got two chances left, the GS on monday, and the Slalom next sat...which ligety will probably win.......

US Hockey......guys.....you want to medal or what?......looking okay, but not great right now.

Canadian Hockey....YOU GUYS GOT ROBBED.......bad call on that one no goal.....

One more thing, is it just me, or is Apollo Ohno's girlfriend, Amber HOT or what....YEAH BABY.....

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
I'm glad Shani won the 1000 meters but I lost respect for him when he dropped out of the mens pursuit. He said he was going to skate and dropped out right before the event. It probably cost the US a medal.

Watch for Finland in mens ice hockey....

·
Registered
458 Posts
physasst said:
Congrats to him....first black athlete to win an individual gold at a winter games, Kudos man....
first male maybe -
vonetta flowers won gold in salt lake city in 2002.

oops.
i guess her's is not considered "individual"!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
An all around jerk who can't get along with anyone else in his sport. I guess that all the other skaters are just "bad people".

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
An all around jerk who can't get along with anyone else in his sport. I guess that all the other skaters are just "bad people".
Why a jerk? Because he doesn't want to race the team event? I don't blame him. If I trained all year long for Paris-Roubaix...day, nite, dreamed it, ate it, etc. I wouldn't risk it for a team pursuit event that same week. And he's a jerk because he can't get along with them? He's a short track bred racer...his best friend is Apolo Ohno. He doesn't know the long track "teammates" from you and me. Why would he risk his best chance to win gold in the even he's been training FOUR years for?

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Congrats go out to Shani Davis!

He was asked to skate the pursuit a week before the event. He didn't perform up to his standards in the 5000 so he decided to bail. He didn't train most of his life for the pursuit. He also knows his body better than anyone. If he felt the pursuit was gonna hinder his performance then he made the best decision.

Although, if he wants to win over any sponsors he should work on his interviewing skills. Three word answers??? He was upset about something and he shoulda postponed the interview.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
physasst said:
Canadian Hockey....YOU GUYS GOT ROBBED.......bad call on that one no goal.....
Yes, this is probably true. But Canada did have 50 shots on net, so their loss was certainly not from a lack of effort. I think they simply ran into an extremely hot goaltender. Martin Gerber really won the game for Switzerland.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Yes, this is probably true. But Canada did have 50 shots on net, so their loss was certainly not from a lack of effort. I think they simply ran into an extremely hot goaltender. Martin Gerber really won the game for Switzerland.
24 of those shots were in that insane 3rd period.

·
Registered
616 Posts
chuckice said:
Why a jerk? Because he doesn't want to race the team event? I don't blame him. If I trained all year long for Paris-Roubaix...day, nite, dreamed it, ate it, etc. I wouldn't risk it for a team pursuit event that same week. And he's a jerk because he can't get along with them? He's a short track bred racer...his best friend is Apolo Ohno. He doesn't know the long track "teammates" from you and me. Why would he risk his best chance to win gold in the even he's been training FOUR years for?
He is a dis-ingenuous jerk. He flatly stated that the US speedskating governing body were "the enemy". He trains in Canada. He refuses to talk to his team-mates...oh, excuse me, he considers them opponents. Won't participate in the team event representing his country.
His mother seemed like a pain in the ass as well. She pulled him out of training in the US because of sponsorship issues? This isn't NASCAR! If someone wants to give you money to train, take it!
A hard lesson Shani...you aren't going to become a millionaire off of this, period. In 6 months, no one will know, nor care who you are. You will become a trivia question.
Joey Cheek and Chad Hedrick are the way Olympic athletes should behave. They will win, but they are also genuinely happy to be there. Shani Davis acted as if he was gracing Italy with his presence.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't know all the details of his beef with everyone, but he certainly seems like he's got a chip on his shoulder in the post race interview. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but acting so angry probably won't win him any endorsements or sponsorship deals. Maybe in the NBA, but probably not in the skating world.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
merckx56 said:
He is a dis-ingenuous jerk. He flatly stated that the US speedskating governing body were "the enemy". He trains in Canada. He refuses to talk to his team-mates...oh, excuse me, he considers them opponents. Won't participate in the team event representing his country.
His mother seemed like a pain in the ass as well. She pulled him out of training in the US because of sponsorship issues? This isn't NASCAR! If someone wants to give you money to train, take it!
A hard lesson Shani...you aren't going to become a millionaire off of this, period. In 6 months, no one will know, nor care who you are. You will become a trivia question.
Joey Cheek and Chad Hedrick are the way Olympic athletes should behave. They will win, but they are also genuinely happy to be there. Shani Davis acted as if he was gracing Italy with his presence.
They are his oppenents...this isn't cycling. And you haven't said what makes him a jerk other than you don't like his mommy. :rolleyes:

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep

whit417 said:
I don't know all the details of his beef with everyone, but he certainly seems like he's got a chip on his shoulder in the post race interview. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but acting so angry probably won't win him any endorsements or sponsorship deals. Maybe in the NBA, but probably not in the skating world.

Agreed, he seemed like a real a** in the post race interview, he needs to work on his PR skills BIG time.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yep. I was liking him until then. I was thinking before that Chad Henning was the moreon (he's from Texass-waddya expect?? ;) ) but now I'm not so sure. (My apologies to Hickey and the other fine Texans out there.....)

·
24,425 Posts
It's always a problem when 99% of the people in your sport think that you are a major ass. Most of the present, and past skaters won't even talk about him.

·
Registered
418 Posts
How do you know that 99% of the skaters won't talk to him?
Speed skating is a individual sport, and his goal was the 1000, why does he have to help Chad win the pursuit if it would ruin his chances in the 1000???

MR_GRUMPY said:
It's always a problem when 99% of the people in your sport think that you are a major ass. Most of the present, and past skaters won't even talk about him.

·
24,425 Posts
"How do you know that 99% of the skaters won't talk to him?"

Newspaper articles, and everything that I have ever read about him.
The reason that they won't talk to him is because they think that he is an ass.
Can you think of anything that he has ever done to show that he isn't an ass?

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
whit417 said:
Something musta really pissed him off. Shoulda passed on that interview. Sponsors don't like unstable athletes. It's not a good reflection of the Olympic spirit.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I looked at his post gold interview a little differently.

The whole time I was wondering if Shani realized he was throwing away the winning lottery ticket worth of endorsements for that horrific interview.

Hey, it doesn't matter what the skaters think as long as he shined in that interview he would have made a bundle in sponsorship. Smile and tell the camera what a priveledge it was to be the first black gold winner in the olympics. Smile and tell them it was too important a milestone to be endangered by participation in the team pursuit. Tell them how much you love America and how proud you are to win gold for the country.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Angry black man

MR_GRUMPY said:
Admit it or not, but that's the situation. Actually, it's more like faking the angry black man. You know, "I'm the inner city Chicago come-back kid, persevering through [insert stereotypical black man disadvantage], and taking my game to Italy. I'm worldwide, baby." Whatever. I can't stand that crap. Basically, it was "cool" for him to act the way he did during the interview. He made some type of "point" in his mind, I guess. Again, whatever. Really nothing different that US Olympic basketball or track, but this time it's on ice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts