Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Celtics?

What?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
It's real. As a Celtics fan, I'm moderately enthusiastic. Here's to another couple good playoff runs for the old guys.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
A lot of people are considering him washed up - kinda like a certain person on the "Shaq" team.

I'm a Laker fan, and even then, I think he's a brilliant addition to the Celtics. Shaq's not washed up. The game around him somewhat elevated to contest his size, but he can still do the same exact things, and have a very intimidating presence (if I was say, Pau Gasol, iId still be scared as **** to cover him). Celtics have him, Perkins - a great center - and Jermaine O'Neal. There could be fuss over play time, but it's as NBA commentators said: insurance. The Celtics could've found Shaq handy for the finals, because they would've completely out-sized the Lakers and would've been able to cover for Perkins' absence.

Frankly, I think the Celtics line up is just as, if not more, intimidating than the Heat since they've got a line up with a higher degree of familiarity, as well as the coach they've had for the previous runs. Rondo's my second favorite player in the league, and is what I'd rank as the second best point guard behind CP3. KG is great at cheating, and Ray and Pierce are still effective scorers. The "Big 3" are as good as they've always been, but a more-developed Rondo and added experience in the 5 position make them able to cover anything.

....And being a Laker fan, I'm obliged to say: KB24FTWKOBEMAMBAMVP>>>>>>>>>>>>>LeBron

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He may not be washed up, but he's a far cry from where he was five years ago- if he could play at that level, I'd be truly ecstatic. What we're gonna have this coming season is a team with a relatively old starting lineup, which gives away some speed and endurance.

Ventruck- I agree with you on Rondo- he's great to watch

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
He sells internet, or cell phones or somehting doesn't he? With the short grey haired comedian.

(obviously the commercials work... I can't remember what they sell)

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
ventruck is right on. they wont play shaq much during the regular season. they may begin to slot him for more playing time near the all star break, just to feel out chemistry. after the all star break open him up a bit more. this leads nicely into the finals, where he will still be fresh to combat the heat before stuffing kobe.

imagine if shaq beats both lebron and kobe en route to a championship. bob costas will have a coronary.

i also wonder what shaq will be like around the current celtics. they are a bit more...aggresive. both with the ball and with their mouths.

·
Opus was just napping
21,431 Posts
If they could deal Rondo for a Derek Fisher type they could go with an all geriatric starting five.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Shaq's going to be playing a lot. Perkins blew out his knee in game 6 of the finals and is expected to miss the first 4 months of the season. Torn ligaments usually keep a guy under 100% for a while too, luckily Perkins doesn't really rely on athleticism.

So right now I expect O'Neal and O'Neal to be splitting time at center, with some Davis in smaller lineups, and maybe the new rookie Semih Erden playing some garbage time. We'll see where Perkins is come February or March...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Shaq is perfect for the Celts. It is not like Perkins was putting up huge numbers. He was mostly focused on D and rebounding. Shaq will be nearly as good on D, equal in rebounding and slightly better at scoring.

Can't wait to see Shaq playing side by side with Garnett....gonna be some intensity there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts