Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
perhaps twice a year or so I will get a sharp lower back pain(sometimes its a front pain like in my chest, the sharpness of a needle feel, but not like you're getting stabbed with a needle feel). Today was the worst time it has ever happened. I was getting my bike out of the back seat of my car (don't ask) and suddenly I was like paralyzed and just fell to the ground. The "paralyzed feeling" lasted about 2-3 seconds then I was in "kind of" pain for another minute or 2. During the ride my lower back was sore but nothing major. Its still sore but nothing major. What the heck is going on? Do these types of sudden intense pains happen to anyone else? I'm 35. Never had any health problems thus far in my life.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
was it low and did it go sideways

along the top of your glute and cause numbness and weakness in the leg? if so it sounds sciatica. you are (whatever it is) most likely tweaking a nerve when doing a lift and twist which is bad. It means you are getting old. wlecome to the club,learn to lift properly.(I am dealing with it as well)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
perhaps twice a year or so I will get a sharp lower back pain(sometimes its a front pain like in my chest, the sharpness of a needle feel, but not like you're getting stabbed with a needle feel). Today was the worst time it has ever happened. I was getting my bike out of the back seat of my car (don't ask) and suddenly I was like paralyzed and just fell to the ground. The "paralyzed feeling" lasted about 2-3 seconds then I was in "kind of" pain for another minute or 2. During the ride my lower back was sore but nothing major. Its still sore but nothing major. What the heck is going on? Do these types of sudden intense pains happen to anyone else? I'm 35. Never had any health problems thus far in my life.
go to a PT and get it diagnosed...that kind of back pain is nothing to take lightly. FWIW you might get some relief from stuff like Pilates, yoga, stretching, massage.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
atpjunkie said:
along the top of your glute and cause numbness and weakness in the leg? if so it sounds sciatica. you are (whatever it is) most likely tweaking a nerve when doing a lift and twist which is bad. It means you are getting old. wlecome to the club,learn to lift properly.(I am dealing with it as well)
it was low and did go sideways. not sure where my glute is. no numbness or weakness in leg. I did recently (like 3-4 weeks ago) start lifting heavier weights and add a couple new things. There is one in particular that I don't think I'm doing right and could see affecting my lower back. Its the basic sit on the chair with the 90ish degree back and lift dumbells straight up. I just recently started doing this and I'm using 55 lb dumbells. I do 10 reps but I still think its too much weight. My butt sits against the backrest and then my shoulder area. In between (my back)is an arch not touching the backrest. I'm thinking you want your entire back resting against the backrest(of course then you can't lift as much....always the case when you're doing it the right way). The arched back thing never seemed right and I could see that concentrating forces in lower back which is exactly where I felt the pain. Can you comment on this excercise (dumbell shoulder press?)? thanks

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
it was low and did go sideways. not sure where my glute is. no numbness or weakness in leg. I did recently (like 3-4 weeks ago) start lifting heavier weights and add a couple new things. There is one in particular that I don't think I'm doing right and could see affecting my lower back. Its the basic sit on the chair with the 90ish degree back and lift dumbells straight up. I just recently started doing this and I'm using 55 lb dumbells. I do 10 reps but I still think its too much weight. My butt sits against the backrest and then my shoulder area. In between (my back)is an arch not touching the backrest. I'm thinking you want your entire back resting against the backrest(of course then you can't lift as much....always the case when you're doing it the right way). The arched back thing never seemed right and I could see that concentrating forces in lower back which is exactly where I felt the pain. Can you comment on this excercise (dumbell shoulder press?)? thanks
Way too friggin much weight for that unless you're already an experienced lifter. I'd do 'em standing (harder to cheat) and use about 25-30 starting out max. Overarching can indeed cause this kind of pain (I've had it). Don't lift so heavy that arching becomes neccessary and use a spotter if you can.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
beej is dead-on, that's alot of weight. taper off and do higher reps if you must.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks bocephus,

I'm usually pretty good about not lifting too much and using proper technique. This one had me wondering; thanks for the info. I will try them standing up tonite with much less weight(if I can, my lower back is still sore). on 2nd thought I'm not working out 2nite. thanks again.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
thanks bocephus,

I'm usually pretty good about not lifting too much and using proper technique. This one had me wondering; thanks for the info. I will try them standing up tonite with much less weight(if I can, my lower back is still sore). on 2nd thought I'm not working out 2nite. thanks again.
hell, i used 60's for my neck and traps. 55 is a LOT of weight to be doing what yer doing.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was always the dude doing 15 reps on most everything. Sometimes 12. I got sick of seeing all the other dudes lifting so much more than me so about 3-4 weeks ago I "stepped it up a notch". I am fairly certain (but not positive) that the other freeweight excersizes I do are within my limits and done correctly. Unlike the dumbell shoulder press they all feel natural (whereas that never did). I think what I'll do is step it back a notch weightwise for the next month. I will probably keep my bench the same 185, 12, 10, 8. Is there much to worry about with the bench press? Feels natural.

I am hardly a work out expert(as evidenced here), but is it just me or are 80% of the dudes using too much weight and improper technique?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
tough to say about the other guys, but you're there for a reason. to take care of you. not to compete with them. so do what's right for yer body. we all have different bodies. take care of yourself, lest your attempts to improve yourself are counter-productive.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
I was always the dude doing 15 reps on most everything. Sometimes 12. I got sick of seeing all the other dudes lifting so much more than me so about 3-4 weeks ago I "stepped it up a notch". I am fairly certain (but not positive) that the other freeweight excersizes I do are within my limits and done correctly. Unlike the dumbell shoulder press they all feel natural (whereas that never did). I think what I'll do is step it back a notch weightwise for the next month. I will probably keep my bench the same 185, 12, 10, 8. Is there much to worry about with the bench press? Feels natural.

I am hardly a work out expert(as evidenced here), but is it just me or are 80% of the dudes using too much weight and improper technique?
barbell bench kills my rotators--don't ramp up too fast or it's really easy to have problems like this.

// Pick up this book...great advice on lifting and doing it safely

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9963616097/sr=8-2/qid=1143561362/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-5564328-5771150?%5Fencoding=UTF8

some websites:

http://www.exrx.net/

http://www.hardgainer.com/

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
(ignore that this is written for women--excellent advice for everyone here)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Friction,
I don't have quite the same problem as you, but I am getting older (yikes!!). For the last few years, I have been pulling the same muscle in my lower back, and it's bugging the heck out of me. Lift something - pull this muscle, turn the wrong way - strain it again, etc. I play hockey twice a week, and I can really feel it after a session. I know that I should rest my back, but I've decided to go a step further and train my back at a local gym and get stronger. It really is the weak link in my body up until this point in my life, and I just feel like I want to be in shape for other activities.
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Agree with J and BJ about the reps thing. I'm not a big guy, so I prefer lighter weights and more reps.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
have ya'll forgot

this is a cycling forum. what the hell ya doin' trying to add upper body mass. low weight hi reps, get tone son. those huge guns and lats ain't gonna be your friend on the next climb. Think T-Rex!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts