Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good way to sharpen an old pair of *****??

Yes, mi cereal...

Edited to not get bizzaned

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
a small file works well, do NOT use a power tool.

keep it even or they won't close evenly

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
btw...I think you might get some INTERESTING responses to the whole ***** question

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
We had to start calling them diagonal cutters years ago. They're cheap, everyone should have a few pairs of ***** around the house.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Touch0Gray said:
btw...I think you might get some INTERESTING responses to the whole ***** question
Thats why I changed the title..... considering my new Avatar...

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigbill said:
We had to start calling them diagonal cutters years ago. They're cheap, everyone should have a few pairs of ***** around the house.

I hear both at work... they are "officially" diagonal cutters....

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
bigbill said:
We had to start calling them diagonal cutters years ago.
I had to do that, not for political correctness, but because too many cow irkers thought it was funny to make a joke, like no one had noticed the pun before.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
I'd probably try to use a relatively coarse stone bench-dogged to a workbench, moving the tool over the stone (figure 8 pattern) rather than try to move a file or something else over the tool while it's in a vice. Way easier to control the quality of the edge. That's if I really had to sharpen those things to begin with. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't. I'd buy a new pair.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
In all seriousness, I have a pair in my toolbox that got dull from cutting cables. Instead of sharpening the whole cutting surface, I filed V shaped notches with sharp edges and I use them for wire stripping. Much easier to use than the cheap wire strippers you see in hardware stores.

BTW, we had to start calling the terminal boxes on the sides of electric motors "motor connection boxes" vice "peckerhead" like the navy has been saying since we started using electric motors. Some older drawings still say peckerhead.

BTW2, our tool inventories said dikes, not *****.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I've had better luck clamping the d(ykes)iagonal cutters in a vise and using a small, fine file or a diamond hone than dogging down the stone and moving the tool (not KoD3), but it could just be that I'm shaky. Either way, the critical thing is to follow the original angle on both sides of each edge. The ones I'm looking at now are ground on only one side, so you'd just hone down that side and maybe dress up the unground side with one or two tiny touches.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
LOL! I had to explain the whole “sticking your finger in the dike” figure of speech to some rather shocked coworkers today. Silly kids these days, old-school proverbs are lost on them. Surely they thought I was probably trying to be lewd. I set them straight, and they were like, “No, I never heard that one”, and so I was all “Kids these days—what are we going to do with you all?”

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Get a Knipex.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Klein doesn't do that anymore - they've really clamped down on wear & tear returns. Unless it's really defective they won't do anything. Contractors just buy new ones, but no reason not to try to sharpen them.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
the reason I said a file IS that if you grind them uneven, you might as well throw them out.
I sharpen my side cutters (*****) and end-cutters all the time. Flush cut's, on the other hand, are next to impossible to get right. In my shop, my cutters have to be REALLY sharp since the metal I work with is sold by the dwt, not the pound. I need a clean cut so I don't have to file the end of a piece of 20 gauge wire.
I wreck at least a pair a year cutting hard steel wire and nicking the edges, That is hard to fix. I found that a set of toe-nail clippers works just as well as a 40 dollar set of flush cuts on gold and silver wire! That way when you nick the blade the day after you get them you don't feel so bad.

·
Bamboozled by love...
417 Posts
kykr13 said:
Klein doesn't do that anymore - they've really clamped down on wear & tear returns. Unless it's really defective they won't do anything. Contractors just buy new ones, but no reason not to try to sharpen them.
Yea, return policies are getting much more stringent all over -- even Sears doesn't honor its hand tool replacement no-questions-asked policy like it used to. Gone are the days when on a Friday afternoon the crew would drop ~10 tape measures, a few speed squares, a chalk box or two and maybe a hammer into a 5 gallon pail for a return over the weekend by the low man on the totem pole. It always felt like you were getting one over on them by walking out with $100 of brand new stuff for nothing. Maybe they finally figured out it wasn't the best policy...

But there is obviously a HUGE difference in price and quality in Sears vs. Klein. But, if both now become 'throw-away- items, it's a tad less attractive to drop the extra cash to buy better stuff.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
LOL! I had to explain the whole “sticking your finger in the dike” figure of speech to some rather shocked coworkers today. Silly kids these days, old-school proverbs are lost on them. Surely they thought I was probably trying to be lewd. I set them straight, and they were like, “No, I never heard that one”, and so I was all “Kids these days—what are we going to do with you all?”
You mind 'splainin it one more time here?

I don't get it at all. What's a **** supposed to be other than a watercourse, wall or embankment?

Unless you substitute watercourse with winner (varied spelling is on purpose).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts