Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quite hairy. I get hot easily when riding and sweat a lot.
Am I better off shaving my chest or not?
A friend says that the hair increases the surface area for sweat evaporation, therefore hair is cooler.
I say it's an insulation layer?

I would dearly love to be cooler. Shave or not?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I do it for aesthetic purposes as my chest is so patchy that it's ridicolous. Some things to consider. The hair stubs snag on jerseys and underarmor layers, you may have a problem with ingrown hairs due to the sweat and rubbing, and you have to keep it up on a regular basis. Up to you but honestly I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever as far as temp regulation. Ever see that episode of Seinfeld???

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
fredf said:
A friend says that the hair increases the surface area for sweat evaporation, therefore hair is cooler.

definitely... and post your tips and a pic here after you are done.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
if you're hairy &/or dark haired, dealing w/ the stubble will be a PITA for sure, but if you can deal w/ that go for it. I do it for the aesthetic factor (buff workout type) & being blonde, I get away w/ 2x/week w/ minimal stubble.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
a hairy chested chick? yick.
Hey, now: don't yick before you try it. Maybe her chest weren't hairy, but her pits were. And methinks she still looked pretty damned hot. Mme. Smith. Patti, that is.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
it won't serve any insulation factor unless it is dense enough to retard air flow.

however if your jersey isn't very breathable it could provide a spacer between you and the jersey keeping you insolated. But jerseys are pretty breathable.

I think the hair will keep you cooler. It will wick up some of the sweat and act like your own swamp cooler. (some guys ride with a cotton t-shirt on hot days, wet it down, that way they don't have to sweat/drink as much.

do you have a girlfriend/wife? If you want to keep her away the stubble is sure to do that...

·
gazing from the shadows
27,209 Posts
dfleck said:
I think the hair will keep you cooler. It will wick up some of the sweat and act like your own swamp cooler.
Actually, it doesn't. It acts as an insulator by trapping a layer of air between jersey and skin. It also, if very thick, will hold moisture and create a humid micro environment next to the skin.

Not an issue for me body wise, but even a short beard will make your face feel hotter, not cooler.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Well, it warmed up today, so I guess I'll go ride.

But you guys go ahead with this conversation for as long as you like...

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
a hairy chested chick? yick.

Taken from a number of recent threads.....

I'd like to see a hybrid biker created using the genes of the hairy chick, a hottie podium chick and the bread making chick.

·
building my engine
163 Posts
fredf said:

This may sound funny to some, but everytime I wax my back. I feel cold and have to put a shirt on when the ac is on.:D

·
Banned
608 Posts
fredf said:
Does the same theory about shaving apply to your John Thomas if that area gets hot during a ride?

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Does the same theory about shaving apply to your John Thomas if that area gets hot during a ride?
"John Thomas...the 12th president of the united states?"
-Average American Schoolkid

Seriously though, shaving your undercarriage has it's off season advantages, but the lsightest amount of stubble would let you know what the word "HINCAPPIE" really means.

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
real stonie said:
"John Thomas...the 12th president of the united states?"
-Average American Schoolkid

Seriously though, shaving your undercarriage has it's off season advantages, but the lsightest amount of stubble would let you know what the word "HINCAPPIE" really means.
Shaving your package + running while wearing boxer shorts = Ow! Ow! Ow! Shaving your chest will keep you cooler, but you'll increase the risk of having your nipples get chafed to kingdom come. It's quite a trade-off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts