Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been getting a lot of S*** latetly for shaving my legs from friends and those i know. What do you guys tell people when they ask you why you shave? Just wondering so ill know what to say to these people next time. thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
it is pretty easy...

when you crash at 43mph, and have to clean up your road rash, that is all the understanding you will need.

also, it makes massages a lot better than having your hair ripped out

aj

·
high plains drifter
48 Posts
big john

how often do you crash at 43 mph and if so what should I expect for I haven't crashed yet and I don't want to any advice would be much appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Tell them you do because you like it! Tell them there's little in this earthly world that compares to the feeling of sliding freshly shaved legs between freshly laundered sheets on a cool evening!! The women will understand. The guys will shake their heads and never get it.

You don't have to justify it to anyone. If you want to tell them the real reason that YOU chose to shave, then tell them.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just tell them I'm having confused gender identity issues and the act of shaving makes me feel more like a girl.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
jains89 said:
Ive been getting a lot of S*** latetly for shaving my legs from friends and those i know. What do you guys tell people when they ask you why you shave? Just wondering so ill know what to say to these people next time. thanks
Tell the men, that their girlfriends, wives, mothers, seem to like it and they can't keep their hands off of your legs, that usually shuts them up. Oh, be prepared to duck and run. I usually say that it is much cooler in hot weather, and too aggravating to let it grow back in the winter. Drives me crazy as it gets too long, itching & snagging in clothes. You can also tell them that is not all that is shaved, and invite them to look

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
This'll scare 'em!

Tell them that when you had the "Back, Crack & Sack" done you thought you might as well get your legs done at the same time!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Alternatively,

You could also tell them you are a serial killer and do not want to leave any DNA evidence behind. You can trust a swimmer's cap to keep the hair on your head from contaminating the crime scene, but your pants pose a security risk (...that sounds a little weird and could be taken more than one way...oh well).

·
Registered
195 Posts
just tell them you're a cyclist.

i shave 10% for the crash, 60% cause i don't like the feeling of wind tugging at my leghair while i ride anymore, and 30% out of habit / it's what i'm used to my legs looking like now. i never get any snide comments, actually most of the comments i get are "oooh your legs look better than mine" and "can i feel?" from the women i hang out with. then again you may not be a metropolitan 25 year old, and all your friends may not be exposed to cycling.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,401 Posts
If you have to ask this question, then you shouldn't shave your legs.
"Just wondering so ill know what to say to these people next time. thanks"
Just tell them to F*** off.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I know you're in high school, and image is relevant enough there that people "giving you shyte" may matter, but, come on, you're comfortable enough with your own body / gender identity, aren't you?

Just say "What the fvck, why do / don't you shave yours?"

Lots of athletes do, not just cyclists. Either accept it, or stop doing it.

·
professional lurker
460 Posts
I tell them that when I mountain bike, my legs get all nicked up from branches etc. and it's easier to clean them up without the hair. Also if I don't like the person too much I'll tell them to go screw.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Perfect response:

Q: "Do you shave your legs?!"<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

or...<O:p</O:p

Q: "Why do you shave your legs?!" <O:p</O:p

A: "No need. Hair doesn't grow on solid steel."<O:p</O:p

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Sixteen

jains89 said:
Believe it or not, I once was sixteen. And, I currently have a sixteen year old daughter. So, I know something about the trials and tribulations of one's being sixteen.

You're not getting a lot of S*** because you shave your legs. You're getting a lot of S*** because you are sixteen. It just comes with the territory. No matter what you do when you are sixteen, someone is going to give you S*** about it. If you do something different, your peers will criticize you for it. And, if you comform 100%, your peers will criticize you, too.

Just do what you want and don't justify what you do to others. If they keep asking you, just give them an answer along the lines of "I just wanted to do it" or "It's none of your business." The people who think less of you because of your shaved legs aren't going to think better of you because you give them some reason for your actions. And, the people who really care about you will (or should) accept you whatever you do.

One advantage of one's being a middle-aged, male leg shaver (summer only) is that my peers are too polite (or embarassed) to ask why I shave them. But, every once and a while when I am wearing short pants, I catch someone staring at my legs. If they were to ask my reasons, I probably would give them the same answers that I have suggested that you give to your sixteen year old peers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
jains89 said:
1) It's easier to clean up after a crash.
2) I have BEAR legs... you ever try putting sunscreen on through fur?
3) I have more women touching my legs than when they were furry.
4) I like the feel when i'm riding.
5) My legs look GOOD.

But my favorite...
"Why do you shave your legs? That's so gay!"
"Yep. My legs look great. Thanks." ... throws 'em off every time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
bigjohnsonkc said:
it is pretty easy...

when you crash at 43mph, and have to clean up your road rash, that is all the understanding you will need.

also, it makes massages a lot better than having your hair ripped out

aj
Yup...been there and done that! Lack of hair and morphine are a real plus at that stage!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts