Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this belongs in General or the Lounge, but let us bow our heads a moment in his memory, and then go for a ride on this eighth anniversary of the death of the great Sheldon Brown, whose wit and wisdom still live on in cyberspace.
Eyewear Winter Nose Vision care Glasses

Reactions: SystemShock

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
Wow, that long... seems only last year. Guy knew a lot of stuff.
He also lobbied QBP and others to supply simple stupid things. The Problem Solvers "Sheldon Brake Nut" for fenders wouldn't exist without the man.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wow. He endures. I was just reading stuff by him somewhere and was impressed with his knowledge. Had no idea he was dead at all.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
My Superleggero bearings still provide me marginal gains.
To this day I still split my chain into individual components after each ride for the ultimate feel and performance.
All of that however give nowhere near the time saving I get when it's time to clean my citroen mono-spoke wheels.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Wow... Thanks or the heads up! He truly made himself immortal through his work. We should be so lucky. He is legend. Tribute is in full order!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just reading about wheel building. Him and Mike T. Are going to motivate me just enough to tackle a wheel build. Can't say how many times I have just browsed the Sheldon Brown site, so much information. Indeed an asset to cycling after 8 years since passing.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Yes, time flies. Sad. Seemed like such a great guy. I stumped him on the ID of a 1970s road bike one time (it was called "Priori," and had Columbus tubing). I knew it was rare if Sheldon was stumped. He took the time to send me a note with as much as he could tell me. Nice enough, plus it is quite a tribute for his encyclopedic web site to be sustained.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
I can't tell you the number of times I've consulted his web site over the years. I still go there now and then when I've forgotten how to do something, or I need to calculate gears, etc.

Thanks Sheldon!

·
Registered
20,754 Posts
I learned much of the stuff I know about fixing bikes from Sheldon's website. He's the reason my bike never goes to the LBS. Maybe if more LBS wrenches read his website that'd be different.

As fast as the interwebs and technology changes, it's kinda amazing that after 8yrs his website is sill relevant.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
I learned much of the stuff I know about fixing bikes from Sheldon's website. He's the reason my bike never goes to the LBS. Maybe if more LBS wrenches read his website that'd be different.

As fast as the interwebs and technology changes, it's kinda amazing that after 8yrs his website is sill relevant.
I like the retro look and operation of Sheldon's site too.

I've about had it with all the fluffy-floaty web site UI bloat that does more to hide information than provide quick access to info. At least Flash is FINALLY headed to the shtcan of history, where it should have been for the past decade.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I don't know if this belongs in General or the Lounge, but let us bow our heads a moment in his memory, and then go for a ride on this eighth anniversary of the death of the great Sheldon Brown, whose wit and wisdom still live on in cyberspace.
View attachment 312136
Back in olden times before RBR, I used to read and post on the Usenet newsgroups. Sheldon was a regular there and he would provide all kinds of great wisdom. He helped me fix my poor braking on my cantilever brakes on my touring bike. There really is no one that has replaced him

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,419 Posts
Yes, a tribute is in order. What's really sad is the slow miserable way he died and at such a young age.

RIP Sheldon.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, a tribute is in order. What's really sad is the slow miserable way he died and at such a young age.

RIP Sheldon.
But the way he faced those last years was and is inspiring. As the multiple sclerosis overtook him, normal cycling became impossible, and his last self-propelled rides were on a recumbent trike at 5 mph. And yet, his accounts of those rides and the other events of his last days in his online journal are full of joy and gratitude for what he had been given in life. We should all aspire to such grace.

My personal debt to him is my love of fixed-gear riding, which is more than half my cycling these days. I'd barely heard of fixed gear (except for track) before reading his site, and I got very intrigued at the idea of doing a conversion. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money, so it was a year before I ran across a suitable frame cheap (five bucks at a garage sale). With some old and new parts I fixed it up, and I still ride it, a lot, 15 years later. Thanks, Sheldon.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I didn't know the man but I've read a lot of what he wrote. I think anyone who's read his stuff would agree with me that he seemed like one of the guys that made the world a better place. Just a genial, non-judgmental guy with a goofy sense of humor and a deep passion for bikes. Also, his advice is always... ALWAYS spot on. Cycling gear is often dominated by fashion and pose. In contrast, Brown's thinking was always practical and rooted in long experience of riding on and working on bikes. To this day if Brown said it, it's gospel.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I like the pragmatism of his advice. It wasn't necessarily about buying the latest and greatest new gizmo. It was more about getting you back out on the road.

Bent chainring? Hammer it back into shape and get back out there! :)

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
I like the pragmatism of his advice. It wasn't necessarily about buying the latest and greatest new gizmo. It was more about getting you back out on the road.

Bent chainring? Hammer it back into shape and get back out there! :)
Sheldon Brown at his best. I love that kind of no-nonsense S.B. advice.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Whenever I ask a question about bike minutiae and someone points me to his site - I can only say "Sheldon'd again".
What a detailed bicycle chronicler and historian. We need more like him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts