Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried or mastered this?

"You can dismount in the normal manner from a fixed-gear bicycle, but advanced fixed-gear riders might enjoy learning a special, very cool-looking dismount that can only be done from a fixed gear:

Instead of getting off to the side of the bicycle, the fixed-gear rider can go straight off the back. This technique works best if you ride with clips & straps, but if you are really proficient in disengaging from clipless pedals, try it at your own risk.

As the bicycle slows to near walking speed, disengage your left foot, then wait for the right pedal to get to the bottom of its circle. As the right pedal starts to rise, straighten your right leg and let the motion of the pedal lift you up. Let go of the handlebars, let the saddle move forward between your legs, and put your left foot on the ground. As the bike goes ahead, grab it by the saddle.

It takes a bit of courage to try this, but it is actually very easy to do. It is also extremely impressive to watch. When executed properly, it is very smooth, and you can go from riding to walking in a single fluid motion, without ever coming to a stop."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read that on his site when I was in my information gathering phase. Unfortunately I do not posses the needed coordination to do that manuveur. I can respect people that can do that stuff. That is why I ride a fixed gear, don't need to remember to shift, stop pedaling, or anything like that, I can put all of my concentration into steering.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not me

I'm in the same boat as you on lack of coordination. I've about mustered the courage to try it with sneakers. Just wondering if anyone here can vouch that it does work, and whether it's possible with clipless.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know a couple of guys that can do it.

I know a couple of guys (literally two) that can do it. Funny story, one of them liked to slip off the seat while their foot was still in the down-stroke (as opposed to the up stroke, per Sheldon). It gave the a bike a quick sprint forward. But once he missed grabbing the seat, and his foot came out of his toe-clip. The bike went shooting forward and slammed into a wall! (It was damaged, don't worry.) I don't know if he still does it that way.

But actually, what I find more common is fixie-guys that dismount the "normal" way, meaning as the pedal enters the upstroke, they swing their back leg over the back wheel and jump off while the bike is still moving. That's how I dismount my SS. I've done it a couple of times by accident on the fixie, mostly because I forgot I was riding the fixie. I've never had the nerve to do it purposely. But as I was saying, I know a bunch of people that can dismount their fixies that way.

--timfire

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its pretty easy really...

...but it takes a little more speed to do gracefully then you might think (or at least more then I used the first few times!).

I've done it in clips/straps and eggbeater pedals. I find it works best to have both feet disengaged from the pedals before attempting, saves some jerky motions.

Oh, and if you have fenders, trim the stays flush to the fender. Snagged some pants (and some skin) before I learned that one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
easy enough

it's easy when you know how. It takes a few attempts but it works very well. Unclip right foot, swing it up and back, as the bike comes through, you grab it and swing out to the left and you should have enough of a leg bend to twist out of your left pedal. Just make sure to give a little side motion to the dismount so your left foot comes out OK. I have egg beaters and speedplays on 2 bike and it works well.

·
On your left
145 Posts
Sure, it's easy

I've tried it, mastered it and occasionally flubbed it. From my "who are you" post:

* make up and answer at least one additional question.
What's the stupidest thing you've done on your bike? Riding up to a rest stop on a group ride, I prepared to do my Roy Rogers dismount where I unclip, push off the pedals, and hop/slide off the back of the saddle, landing on both feet and catching the saddle in front of me. Unfortunately, I was wearing an old pair of tights that had stretched out a bit, and they snagged on the nose of the saddle as I slid off the back. I was suspended halfway off the saddle, hands off the bars and feet off the pedals, and collapsed in a heap in front of the stopped group. Uh, I meant to do that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts