Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a really good deal on Castelli bibshorts I like and bought three pair. Should I just ride one pair until they wear out or multiple pairs? I have other bibshorts that still have some life so I only really need to use one pair of the new ones. Will they loose any elasticity sitting in a drawer for a few years?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Found a really good deal on Castelli bibshorts I like and bought three pair. Should I just ride one pair until they wear out or multiple pairs? I have other bibshorts that still have some life so I only really need to use one pair of the new ones. Will they loose any elasticity sitting in a drawer for a few years?
I really doubt it. I have several pairs that are many years old and I'm sure wearing them and washing them puts a lot more stress on them sitting in a drawer. Alternatively you could rotate them

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
i did something similar with some Assos bibs I got a nice deal on. I ended up rotating the three pair, which worked out pretty well. Nice to always have a clean pair ready to go without having to worry about laundry every day, especially in the summer commute months, when I'm riding twice a day on most days.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't wear bibs - just regular shorts - but I ride nearly every day (mostly commuting), and I always have at least 6 or 7 pairs of good shorts, so I can wear clean ones every day and only do laundry once a week. So I'm in the "rotate" camp.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
If you leave them on the shelf, they last a really long time. If you actually ride in them ... not so much.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I rotate my stock as well. I had recently found a pair of Capo bibs I really liked and fit really well. Saw them on sale over the holidays and bought 4 more pair at a really steep discount. So I'm rotating three pair of those at the moment and left the other two in the drawer for when these give out. Of course my OCD nature led me to label each pair with an "in-service date" and a number. Easier to keep track of them that way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I do not wear multiple pair as I find several layers of chamois to be uncomfortable.

I do not rotate them as I find they chafe if put on backwards.

I do own 6-7 sets and wear a clean set every ride.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Where did you get the deal and what style of bibs?
Castelli Endurance X2 $83 at Merlin Cycles in UK. I first tried them on at a Trek store about a year ago and they were $150. Then recently I saw them on sale some were for $110 and after reading mixed reviews decided to hold off. Then I found the deal at Merlin and decided to pull the trigger. I have only ridden in them once but they seem brilliant.

As far as rotating maybe I was not clear. Even if I use only one new pair I would still be rotating with my other bibs and would only wear the new ones once a week. But it looks like it doesn't matter how many of the new ones I use, so I will start with one and see how it goes. Sometimes its hard to give up on worn out ones. I have one pair of Skins that are a few years old and really liked them, but they are now see through in back which my wife so kindly pointed out, so now I only wear them on the trainer or under tights.

·
CX'er
863 Posts
When the riders behind you start complaining your butt crack is showing because the lycra's worn thin, time for new shorts.

I usually get holes in the groin area from rubbing the seatpost and/or saddlebag (no longer have saddle bags with the velcro loop) and that's what knocks a pair out of rotation usually.

Lycra is pretty shelf-stable stuff, it won't dry out like rubber, if that's kind of what you're thinking.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
As far as rotating maybe I was not clear. Even if I use only one new pair I would still be rotating with my other bibs and would only wear the new ones once a week. But it looks like it doesn't matter how many of the new ones I use, so I will start with one and see how it goes. Sometimes its hard to give up on worn out ones. I have one pair of Skins that are a few years old and really liked them, but they are now see through in back which my wife so kindly pointed out, so now I only wear them on the trainer or under tights.
I have the same problem.
My coworker makes fun of my beat up shoes and shirt shirts to which I respond that I have brand new nice shoes and shirts 'pending'.
Her response is something along the lines of; there's no point in being buried with unused stuff. She's right. Use them.

Practicing what I preach is a work in progress but it's stupid to buy stuff just to save it.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
I rotate my stock as well. I'm rotating three pair of those at the moment and left the other two in the drawer for when these give out.
Makes no sense. Rotate them all and replace things as they wear out and you find sales. I have roughly 20 pr. of shorts in rotation - some no longer good for long rides but just fine for 30 miles. I can understand having a spare pair of shoes that you never wear as a backup, but spare shorts you don't wear makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I keep the ones with the 'see-thru' butt window for use on the rollers or under full bibs with no chamois...

no sense wearing the good ones for those times.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Rotate, Rotate, Rotate... I currently have about 7 pair of bids I rotate around so I'm not doing a wash after every ride.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Where the hell did cxwrench go? Did all the posting in wrong subforum finally drive him away for good?

Seriously, though you will find several existing threads on this and similar topics with other potentially useful feedback here:
Apparel and Cycling clothes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts