Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Brooks Cambium C17 in March. It was to replace a Brooks Pro that I had on my Madone. The shape and width was almost identical and I really liked it initially.

But as I started increasing my mileage on it the rough texture of the cotton cover was grabbing my shorts and causing lots of chaffing on my nether regions. Never a good thing.

I had read where some other people were having this issue and I had read on a blog somewhere that they had shellacked theirs and it was much better.

Here are the results of my project:
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle saddle Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle
Brown Liquid Black Close-up

Items needed:
Small can of Bullseye brand shellac
1 inch brush
200 grit sandpaper

I put about 4 coats of shellac on the saddle. The first two coats soaked into the cover. I waited about 1 hour in between each coat.
I let the last coat dry for about 4-5 hours.
Once dry I gently sanded to top with the 200 grit sandpaper.
I then applied one more coat and let it dry overnight.
The next day I sanded the top of the saddle 3-4 times. I would get on and ride up and down the street testing the saddle in between sanding.
The end result is the perfect amount of slickness of the saddle but once I find a good spot my shorts will stay put. The difference in comfort is amazing.

The texture of the saddle top is now like a well used football or basketball. Just enough grip but easy to move around on.

You could easily get the saddle to be like sitting on ice if you were to use a few more coats and sand a little in between. I think I may do that on the skirts of the saddle as you don't need any grip on the edges.

If your having issues with your Cambium I would definitely give this a try.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Is the saddle + shellac better than the original Brooks Pro?

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the saddle + shellac better than the original Brooks Pro?
I loved the Brooks Pro, but after two seasons it was starting to break in un-evenly. The right side had a much more pronounced divot in it. This caused my right sit bone to actually contact the frame of the saddle. This caused a bad pressure sore that was very difficult to heal.

I wanted the exact same shape as the Pro but with out the issue of it eventually breaking in again and causing the issue again. I actually prefer new Brooks saddles to one that is completely broken in.

It basically feels just like the Pro did when it only had 200 or so miles on it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What you describe with that Brooks Pro doesn't sound like "breaking in". I would call that "breaking down". The cover touches the frame of the saddle where your sit bone is? That's reason for a return, if you ask me. Unless there's some little details you are leaving out, such as you weighing 300lbs or something along those lines...

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you describe with that Brooks Pro doesn't sound like "breaking in". I would call that "breaking down". The cover touches the frame of the saddle where your sit bone is? That's reason for a return, if you ask me. Unless there's some little details you are leaving out, such as you weighing 300lbs or something along those lines...
Nope, I only weigh 175. I may inquire about returning it but I figured since its two years old the retailer would just balk.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Nope, I only weigh 175. I may inquire about returning it but I figured since its two years old the retailer would just balk.
Complain to Brooks. Also, it is great you came up with a way to solve the problem for the C17, but one shouldn't have to do that either. I would complain about them both. I'm on a B17 at the moment, weight 195, and haven't had any issues with the saddle.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Complain to Brooks. Also, it is great you came up with a way to solve the problem for the C17, but one shouldn't have to do that either. I would complain about them both. I'm on a B17 at the moment, weight 195, and haven't had any issues with the saddle.
I have a Champion Flyer on my Long Haul Trucker and its been great.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I've got a bit more than 4000 miles on my c17 and the cotton cover is showing what seems to be stress right behind the nose piece that supports the foreward rails and cover. The saddle acts as a hammock, and the cotton looks to be starting to tear where it comes off that nose piece. I have heard a couple of stories of this happening to other saddles and have seen pictures of one where the rubber and cotton were tearing thru at the same spot.

It doesn't show well, but the line across the nose, right behind the rivet, seems to be the canvas tearing. My weight is 180\185 lbs.

I am really happy with the saddle and would hate to see this turn into a separation.

Bicycle wheel rim Brown Bicycle part Rim Bicycle accessory

1 - 10 of 10 Posts