Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proman Team's Shelley Old's Track bike was stolen, be on the lookout...

If seen or found, please contact:
Nicola Cranmer, General Manager
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 415.246.8791

NATIONAL TEAM RIDER SHELLEY OLDS’ BIKE IS STOLEN TWO DAYS BEFORE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS IN PREPARATION FOR WORLD CUP
September 30, 2008 – Grave misfortune has struck within the PROMAN Women’s Professional Cycling Team and UCI Professional Track Team. Shelley Olds determined this morning that her bike was stolen from her car in Gilroy, California, Her car was parked in a driveway near the Eagle Creek Golf Course.

“I love that bike,” explained Olds, shaking her head in disbelief. “You work hard to get yourself set up on a bike, then you get used to it and grow to appreciate everything about it. It wouldn’t be quite the tragedy it is if not for Track National Championships just two days away. I don’t know yet what I’ll do. We hope to recover the bicycle and I am offering a reward”

Bike Specs:
BMC Trackmaster 47cm Carbon frame, Cane Creek 50mm Carbon wheels, white Ritchey Syncros stem, 38cm FSA Bars, Dura ace 165mm cranks, gold Izumi Chain

“This is especially painful since one of the most important races of Shelley’s career is just two days away,” explained Nicola Cranmer, General Manager of PROMAN Women’s Professional Cycling Team. “But it’s also a terrible misfortune because BMC had the frame flown in from Switzerland especially for Track Nationals and the UCI World Cups and all of our sponsors have been so generous in their support of our team, and our staff has worked so hard to get all of Shelley’s equipment dialed in and has maintained it so that it has worked flawlessly over the past two years.”

If you have any information on the whereabouts of Shelley’s bike, please contact Cranmer at the above phone number or email. The team is happy to support efforts by the police to pursue perpetrators, but will also gladly recover the bike, no questions asked. A reward is offered

·
Registered
69 Posts
There ain't that many 47cm BMC Trackmasters out there folks and time is of the essence as nationals is just two days away. Here's the full specs:

BMC Trackmaster 47cm Carbon frame, Cane Creek 50mm Carbon wheels, white Ritchey Syncros stem, 38cm FSA Bars, Dura ace 165mm cranks, gold Izumi Chain

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Will do.

There ain't that many 47cm BMC Trackmasters out there folks and time is of the essence as nationals is just two days away.
Yep. A 47-cm BMC track bike? There can't be many of those in the states.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,976 Posts
Word on the street is that it has been recovered by the pohlice!

from Alto Velo:
-----------
Police have found Shelly's bike. Rear tire was flat. Speculation
that the thief had problems riding the bike with no brakes - go
figure!!!

Found the post on Craig's list!!

Leo

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A note from Shelley:
Thank you everyone for helping yesterday

If you had asked me what the worst possible thing that could happen to me would be, I don't even think I could have dreamed up what happened to me yesterday. But, it would be something along the lines of this: Waking up on my birthday at 6:30 a.m. ready to head over to the track for one last motor-paced training session to tune up the legs before Nationals, only to find that my brand new BMC Track Master bike with 85 Cane Creek Carbon Wheels was stolen out of my car. Not only that, but my bag with all of my gear would be gone also. In the process of discovering that my bike, which was going to be used at the Elite Track National Championships in 2 days, was gone I would swing open the front door of my car in disbelief and anger and pierce the corner of my eye. Now I have an eye that's bleeding and soon to be black and blue and swollen, a missing bike and gear, and a whole lot of bad emotion raging inside me. Well, that's exactly what happened.

My first reaction was to panic. I ran inside and told my parents. I remember kneeling down on the ground and grabbing my head and yelling loudly, "No, No, No." Why would this, how could this, what happened? Thoughts were flying through my head. Anger was flowing through me. I started to cry. I didn't know what to do. I called Niki and told her my bike was gone. I asked her what to do. She calmed me down as much as possible and immediately had a plan. While I was contacting the police and all of the local newspapers, she was contacting every media outlet in Marin and the SouthBay to get the word out. The hope was to find a replacement bike for me to ride at Nationals. That's what Niki and Julia Violich were determined to do for me. And they were already working on it. My initial thought was, I'm going out there and finding my bike.

The police arrived right away, we filed the report, they took finger prints off my car, and then my mom, step-dad, and I were off in search of the missing stuff. I didn't know where it would be or who would have taken it, but I knew I had to try. Too much was invested in this bike. To me, it represented everything I had worked so hard for over the last year and I wasn't prepared to let some thief run off with it without a fight. Maybe he was long gone, maybe he was just down the street. I didn't know and I didn't care. I started off on foot into all the surrounding neighborhoods with my mother and my dog. My step-dad took his car and circled the neighborhoods on the other end. We covered the span of about 6 miles in 3 hours, searching every trash can, dumpster, even homeless encampments. We asked every person we saw if they had seen the bike and offered a reward to anyone who could help. I wasn't optimistic about the bike being left behind, but I though maybe the thief would look in the bag and determine that my riding shoes, helmet, kits, racing glasses, tubes, skins, and 5'2-inch female's casual wear wouldn't be suited for him and that he'd just toss it somewhere.

After about 4 hours, we came up short. We came back to the house and tried to calm down and reassess the situation. I called two of the local newspapers to get a story out about the robbery. I wanted people to know what happened, so that maybe they would have compassion for my loss and be a second set of eyes for me to look for my bike. The articles ran immediately. When I came home around 1:00 p.m. I had so many emails from people all over the map telling me they were sorry and offering to help anyway they could. I can't tell you how amazing it felt to come home and see that all these people were reaching out to me and supporting me. There are just way too many people to thank, but this story is a testament to the power of a social network this strong and tight. I have never before in my life felt this way about a group of people. This community of cyclists is unparalleled in it's ability to come together and overcome adversity when it seems there is no way out.

Last night I laid down in bed around 11:30 and tried to rest my head and forget about the happenings of the day. As soon as my head hit the pillow, my mind started racing again and the anger came back. It was like a nightmare and I remember saying to myself, "please make it go away." I wanted the feeling in my stomach to leave, and the thoughts in my head to disappear, but mostly I wanted my bike back. Just as I started nodding off to sleep, Rob came in the room holding the phone to his ear. He said, "Shelley get up, get up. Do the happy dance." I was like, "Are you crazy?" Then Rob said, "They found your bike, your mom's on the phone." I grabbed the phone in disbelief and on the other end my mom was cheering that they just went and recovered my bike and that it was in their house safe and sound.

I waited with jaw dropped as she explained the story to me. The police had just contacted her. A neighbor on the next street over had called and reported having the missing bike. They said the bike was leaned up against the car when they came home from work and they didn't think anything of it right away, mistaking it for one of their own kids bicycles. Later that night the family realized the bike was not their son's bike and decided to call the cops to tell them about the bike. The police called my parents immediately and they walked over to the house to get the bike.

So, we can only assume that the story goes like this: A homeless person broke into my car in the middle of the night. He stole my bike and my bag out of my car, choosing to leave all other things of value behind because obviously he was on foot and what better steal than a machine to commute on and a bag of clothes, possibly food, and possibly money. After hopping on the bike and trying to make off on my track bike with no brakes, a 92-inch gear, and super skinny, aero wheels and tires, he most likely said to himself, "what in the world is wrong with this bike. I can't ride this." Not to mention, the bike was probably so small for him, it must have been incredibly uncomfortable to ride. Because as Scott Patton said, "Only about 2 people in the world could ride this (over the age of 12). It's the worlds smallest BMC track bike." He's probably right.

So, the thief made off with my bag, which will prove to be absolutely useless to him, except for maybe the clif bars and shot bloks that were in there. I am without much of my usual gear for nationals still, but the important thing is that I have my bike back. Apparently, it has a rear flat tire and I haven't seen the bike yet to determine if there is any other damage. I am hoping my account is accurate and he didn't take the bike far. I will be at Nationals and I will be on my beautiful new BMC Track Master once again. It was a long hard day yesterday and one that was extremely challenging for me both mentally and physically. But, I am up and running again today and heading down to L.A. in a few hours. I've got some built up anger to let out still, so I won't be holding back down there.

Once again, thanks to everyone that reached out to me, either just to say they were sorry or to offer their equipment, their kid's equipment, or to offer to go to all the local flea markets and scour them for my bike. I really couldn't have made it through the day without you all. Despite the darkness of the day, there was so much light shining in with everyone's support. I am honored to be a part of this amazing community. I will not forget any of this. And I promise to race my tail off tomorrow in honor of all of you back home that have supported me unconditionally.

Thanks for reading ~ Shelley

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
That's great news. I love this line from her account:

They said the bike was leaned up against the car when they came home from work and they didn't think anything of it right away, mistaking it for one of their own kids bicycles.
Any of us would recognize that as a dream track machine, but JQP doesn't distinguish it from the kids' bikes. Really helps keep out sport/hobby in perspective. :)

Too bad they didn't catch the guy. I guess he got tired of waiting for the neutral support vehicle for a wheel swap for the flat.

·
confirmed masher
1,668 Posts
glad she found her bike, how did she do?

i don't understand people who leave valuables in the trunk, is it really worth the conveinence to have it possibly stolen?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts