Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed bar-cons and aero brakes last month. Been riding on my trainer with no problems. Now I notice, after bumping my handlebar, when it turns, the rear brake will close or the derailers down shift. How do I maintain a good tight fit for cables with allowing enogh looseness for turning?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
cydswipe said:
I installed bar-cons and aero brakes last month. Been riding on my trainer with no problems. Now I notice, after bumping my handlebar, when it turns, the rear brake will close or the derailers down shift. How do I maintain a good tight fit for cables with allowing enogh looseness for turning?
You need to make sure you have enough excess cable housing at the front. The reason your brakes close or the shifters fire is because turning the bars pulls on the housing--I bet if you watched, you'd see the housing pulling up in the cable stops on your downtube when you turn the bars.

You need to have a sufficient loop of extra housing so it doesn't hit and pull against the head tube (or anything else up front) when you turn the bars. If you're looking for a solution that eliminates all the excess, you're barking up the wrong tree--any binding along the housing will create your problem.

Here's Sheldon Brown on this topic: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html#routing

1 - 2 of 2 Posts