Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of ordering shifter housing for both my mountain and road bike. I see that they come in both 5mm and 4mm diameters. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to either?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe you will find that shifter housing is 4mm and brake is 5mm. Certainly that is the common arrangement. They are NOT interchangeable.

Or post a link to 5mm shifter housing and I will eat some humble pie.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
There is 5mm shift housing, no one uses it. I might see it once or twice in a thousand bikes that come into the shop. We've had a box of 5mm shift housing that some idiot ordered years ago sitting in the back cuz no one will use it. We've been using 4mm for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
There is 5mm shift housing, no one uses it. I might see it once or twice in a thousand bikes that come into the shop. We've had a box of 5mm shift housing that some idiot ordered years ago sitting in the back cuz no one will use it. We've been using 4mm for as long as I can remember.
Put it on eBay. Call it "vintage" or "rare". You'll have bidders falling all over themselves

1 - 10 of 10 Posts