Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just acquired a specialize epic and im trying to put it back together. the shifters [shimano600]moves but do not click into place. I put on new cables on it already. Do i need new shifter?

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
randycr said:
Hi, I just acquired a specialize epic and im trying to put it back together. the shifters [shimano600]moves but do not click into place. I put on new cables on it already. Do i need new shifter?
I should know this because I used to have a Bianchi with the 600 group, but I don't think the shifters were indexed (click stops for shifting). I think they were friction shifters, so you'd just move the shifter until the shift was executed, then trim to alleviate drivetrain noise.

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Sis

randycr said:
Assuming downtube shifters? If so, indexed shifters would have a little ring around the base of the shifter as you're looking at the bike from the side, and that ring would have the letters SIS (Shimano Index Shifting). If you don't have that label, then you have friction shifters. If you do have that label, it is possible that the shifters were switched to friction mode. IIRC, you can twist the D ring or something to go back and forth. Also, they could just be gummed up, in which case a nice blast of solvent while working the levers through their range should sort things out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.