Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flat bar on my road bike, with XT shifters and brakes. Lately, when shifting, there seems to be a log of play in the right lever. I can push it 1/2" or more before anything engages. I'm mechanically ignorant, I guess it's time I started learning about these things. So -- where do I start? (Yes, I can change a tire, that's as far as it goes tho..)

:confused:

Janet

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Oh no! Not again!

snapdragen said:
I have a flat bar on my road bike, with XT shifters and brakes. Lately, when shifting, there seems to be a log of play in the right lever. I can push it 1/2" or more before anything engages. I'm mechanically ignorant, I guess it's time I started learning about these things. So -- where do I start? (Yes, I can change a tire, that's as far as it goes tho..)

:confused:

Janet
Most likely you have a classic case of "Gunk in the shifter." The cure is to flush out the shifter mechansm with WD-40 and compressed air. In a pinch you gan get just a replacement shifter pod, but XTs are kind of pricy.

I say "Oh no!" because now the WD-40 police are going to come after me again.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke Wrench:

Thanx for the info - it took me awhile to get this taken care of. OK - I admit it - I still had no clue what I needed to do. (I did mention I was mechanically retarded..... :rolleyes: )

Anyway, yesterday before a training ride, I brought my bike into the shop where we were meeting. The mech did exactly what you said to do - the shifters work like a charm. Now I know what to do when it happens again.

Spoke Wrench said:
Most likely you have a classic case of "Gunk in the shifter." The cure is to flush out the shifter mechansm with WD-40 and compressed air. In a pinch you gan get just a replacement shifter pod, but XTs are kind of pricy.

I say "Oh no!" because now the WD-40 police are going to come after me again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.