Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left shift lever (Athena 9-speed) shifts happily onto the big ring but then is extremely reluctant to go back to the small ring (Centaur compact chainset). I have to stop and get off the bike to fiddle with the lever to make it release (somehow) so I can access the small chainring. What's happening and how to fix it? Could the shift cable be too tight? Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for writing. The derailleur does not appear to be stuck. The cable does not slacken. Eventually, by rocking the upshift lever and the downshift button, somehow the jamup is cleared and the derailleur shifts to the small ring normally. The problem appears to be the shifter, not the derailleur. Thanks.

·
9,790 Posts
Is the hood blocking the paddle lever from returning fully?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My left shift lever (Athena 9-speed)
This lever must be more than 10 years old. I know because I still use the same levers. It's probably time for a strip down and clean of the lever by now. Did mine earlier this year and upgraded the right shifter to ten speed. You will probably be advised to replace the g springs while you're in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.