Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any tricks to keeping the shifters working in cold weather? Or is it time for new shifters?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try using a thinner lube. I had the same problem and switched the type of lube I was using. It fixed the problem for me.

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Standard fix

Neibe said:
Is there any tricks to keeping the shifters working in cold weather? Or is it time for new shifters?
The standard treatment would be to sluice your levers with WD-40 while shifting through the gears a few times. This will thin the grease a bit and remove a bunch of gunk that has likely accumulated in there. If this works, you should possibly follow up with a thinner lube - TriFlow works well, among others.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The standard treatment would be to sluice your levers with WD-40 while shifting through the gears a few times. This will thin the grease a bit and remove a bunch of gunk that has likely accumulated in there. If this works, you should possibly follow up with a thinner lube - TriFlow works well, among others.
I would guess that it is more likely the lube/gunk in the housings. Does it shift in one direction and not the other? - TF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.