Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just helped a friend buy a used bike, an 07 trek 1500, and the cassette freaks out when I shift into the lowest (smallest) cog regardless of where it is up front... and I have no idea why. Suggestions?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
if the chain was freaking out, then that's easy. happens all the time. but...if it's the cassette that's freaking, i've heard valium works for that, but only sometimes.

seriously...provide some more details. or, based on what you have posted, take it to a shop and let them handle it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, it was late at night, sorry. Lowest ratio, and freaking out somehow was supposed to mean stops, as in, jams. With the bike upside down, if I pedal and hift into the lowest (smallest) cog, it will lock up completely. Thats what I meant. I really need to start proofreading what I type...

·
Registered
86 Posts
My guess is the a) the chain is too short, b) the chain line is jacked up, or c) some combination of the first two.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
why is the bike upside down? if it jams up in HIGH gear (the smallest cog) it's probably the limit screw. check that...push the derailleur in just a bit and see if it works. or, you can look at it from behind and see if the derailleur pulley lines up way outside of smallest cog. if that's not it...i have no idea.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Frame clearance

garciawork said:
Wow, it was late at night, sorry. Lowest ratio, and freaking out somehow was supposed to mean stops, as in, jams. With the bike upside down, if I pedal and hift into the lowest (smallest) cog, it will lock up completely. Thats what I meant. I really need to start proofreading what I type...
Again, repeating comments of others, "lowest ratio" means largest cog on cassette, smallest chainring on crank. Your description of the problem is still not very clear.

If your chain seems to jam when it's on the smallest cog (highest ratio), look carefully to see whether the chain is hitting the frame/dropout. As others have noted, make sure that the lower limit screw lets the derailleur cage line up directly with the smallest cog when you shift "all the way down."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts