Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a new bike built up for my wife. Our team is sponsored by cannondale, and after all the team orders were filled, they had a leftover caad8 frame/fork in her size50, so I had the LBS build it up with Veloce Compact 10 speed. Upgraded to centaur BB and chorus/record chain. After a couple rides, she said she couldn't get the chain onto the big ring. I figured she just wasn't advancing the lever over enough, and told her to give it some force. Still couldn't get it. I took a look, and sure enough, It would not advance to the big ring. I brought it back to the shop yesterday morning, as I have ridden campag for almost 20 years, and couldn't figure it out. I went to pick it up last night. The LBS owner, a highly regarded and professional mechanic, greeted me at the door with a stunned/frustrated look, saying he has been working on it the better part of the day and was stumped. He called his campag distributor, who said there have been some issues with veloce compact shifting and would get more info. Anyone else have this experience, or have a fix? thanks.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
Just had a new bike built up for my wife. Our team is sponsored by cannondale, and after all the team orders were filled, they had a leftover caad8 frame/fork in her size50, so I had the LBS build it up with Veloce Compact 10 speed. Upgraded to centaur BB and chorus/record chain. After a couple rides, she said she couldn't get the chain onto the big ring. I figured she just wasn't advancing the lever over enough, and told her to give it some force. Still couldn't get it. I took a look, and sure enough, It would not advance to the big ring. I brought it back to the shop yesterday morning, as I have ridden campag for almost 20 years, and couldn't figure it out. I went to pick it up last night. The LBS owner, a highly regarded and professional mechanic, greeted me at the door with a stunned/frustrated look, saying he has been working on it the better part of the day and was stumped. He called his campag distributor, who said there have been some issues with veloce compact shifting and would get more info. Anyone else have this experience, or have a fix? thanks.
If it's a 50/34 chainring combo, I have to say that the jump is pretty big, so it will require some tweaking. Are you using the compact-specific front derailleur? I got my 50/34 FSA setup to work with a non-compact front der by setting the front der very close (vertically) to the 50 chainring. Maybe the mechanic is too conservative in his setup. I'd say you should give it a shot yourself.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
orange_julius said:
If it's a 50/34 chainring combo, I have to say that the jump is pretty big, so it will require some tweaking. Are you using the compact-specific front derailleur? I got my 50/34 FSA setup to work with a non-compact front der by setting the front der very close (vertically) to the 50 chainring. Maybe the mechanic is too conservative in his setup. I'd say you should give it a shot yourself.

Good luck!
thanks, OJ. Yep, its a 50/34 and the jump is pretty big. Yes, the FD is veloce compact. This has caught me by surprise. The FD is usually the easiest thing to set up on a bike, and once its set, it is set. I figured campagnolo would have maybe tested this set up before bringing it to market.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
how it works...

A campy left shifter has 12 clicks. A double FD only requires 3-4 clicks to cover it's full range of motion (a triple requires 7). If the thumb button is pushed all the way down before the cable is attached to the FD, you have 12 clicks at your disposal. The lever should be able to make 5 clicks with one sweep of the finger lever, if the upper limit screw does not limit the travel, but most likely the screw will limit the lever to 4 clicks. Pushing harder won't help if the limit screw is limiting the finger lever.

Adjusting a FD is usually not tough. The cage should be 1-2mm above the teeth of the big ring and parallel to the big ring, before the cable is attached. If you have a frame mounted cable adjuster, be sure it's screwed all the way down before attaching the cable. Then it should be just a matter of adding 1-2 turns to take up the slack and get the required travel. If you keep screwing the right side limit screw out, eventually you'll get enough travel to throw the chain off the big ring to the right. All you want is just enough to execute the shift and prevent chainrub in the big ring and smallest cog.

A triple FD set up in the same manner, but requires 7 clicks to achieve full travel. The first five make the shift from the little ring to the middle. After this shift executes, the thumb button is pushed 1-2 clicks to recenter the cage. That leaves the normal 3-4 clicks to make the middle ring to big ring shift.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem Solved

Apparently, on smaller compact frames, the Campag Compact FD does not work with their Compact system. It has to do with the seat tube angle in relation to the drivetrain. The distributor sent a standard FD, and it shifts perfectly. Hopefully, anyone else who runs into this will come across this thread.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
Apparently, on smaller compact frames, the Campag Compact FD does not work with their Compact system. It has to do with the seat tube angle in relation to the drivetrain. The distributor sent a standard FD, and it shifts perfectly. Hopefully, anyone else who runs into this will come across this thread.
This is an interesting observation. I'm not sure I understood the relationship between a compact frame and the problem though: Did they say that steeper STA is bad, or more laid-back STA is bad?

Thanks, and enjoy the bike!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.