Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 year old Dura Ace 9 speed group. For a while now the shifting has been sloppy in the middle cogs. I need to move the shift lever pretty far to get it to shift one cog. If I just do a normal tap the RD moves but the chain hop onto the next cog, just bumps along.

I tried adjusting the rear adjuster about 1/4 turn each way but to no avail - it will either over-shift or under-shift.

I can shift 2 or 3 cogs at a time pretty well.

I have replaced the cable and lubed it pretty well.

What next? Replace cable housing? Can the RD be rebuilt? Time for a new RD?

thanks
Wes

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I'm no expert on Shimano

(more of a Campy guy), but it sounds to me like the problem is more likely in the lever than in the der.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
yeah, it sounds like it is probably a problem with your shifters. I second the WD-40 solution. my 10 year old shifters were sticking awhile back and I sprayed them with WD-40 and they were good as new.

my question is why shimano cannot make a rebuildable shifter like campy?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have a 10 year old 9-speed D-A bike and agree with the above recommendations. When my bike was about 3 years old I started having shifting problems like yours. Replacing the cables and cable housings cured these problems. I think replacing the housings is at least as important as replacing the cables. Dirt and corrosion in the housings causes excess friction. This is more common in the short housing just before the rear derailleur.

Later I had problems with missed shifts in the shifters, I thought the shifters were going bad but I tried the WD40 trick and shifting was like new again immediately. I simply shot WD40 into the shifters using the plastic straw that comes with the can.

Since those earlier problems I've replaced the cables and housings and flushed out the shifters with WD40 two more times to keep the shifters performing right. And I've had similar experiences with my wife's Ultegra bikes.

Al

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The chain is new. The cassette is a year old. (3 to 4k miles). The housing is several years old.

I'll start by replacing the housing. I should know better than to take the easy way out and only do the cable.

thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.