Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of upgrading my 12 year old mountain bike (that serves as my road bike in the Winter) The present cassette and chain should have been replaced years ago. Here is what is going on. I had slipping in the gears. In other words as I pedaled, it would jump into another sproket. The shifter was worn. I replaced it with an XTR 8 speed shifter.( Everything is 8 speed) I want to invest in new wheels, cassette and chain, and derailleur. I put the bike in the stand and found this problem. When I am shifting toward the smaller cogs, when the chain is in the middle cog, it takes two clicks for it to move. Then it skips one gear. Also it is very difficult to get it into the smallest cog. Yes I loosened the screw. Before I invest money into the bike, I want to know if the shifting problem could be caused by a misaligned derailleur tab. My guess it a weak derailleur spring.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
daniell said:
Before I invest money into the bike, I want to know if the shifting problem could be caused by a misaligned derailleur tab.
It definitely could be derailleur hanger misalignment. As a general rule, whenever you have a shifting problem that doesn't respond to normal tuneing inputs, check to see that everything is in the default mode.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Possible solutions

Yes, it could be a bent derailleur hanger, but it also could be the severely worn chain and cogs, cables/housings that are frayed, corroded, gunked up, or bent, shifters that are sticky and gunky, or even a derailleur that is loose/corroded/full of gunk. Several things to try.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Kerry is right about a dirty derailleur causing shifting problems. I had similar problems with gunk in the RD. Soaking the RD in a solvent and brushing solved the problem.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Yes, it could be a bent derailleur hanger, but it also could be the severely worn chain and cogs, cables/housings that are frayed, corroded, gunked up, or bent, shifters that are sticky and gunky, or even a derailleur that is loose/corroded/full of gunk. Several things to try.
Yep. And my guess is it's old worn cables and housing. Just cleaning and lubing them would probably improve matters.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shifter Problem

Thanks to all for your kind replies. While cycling today I noticed what was causing the problem. While under pressure the chain would come off the middle chainring. I did not notice this before. On the other other chainrings all is well. I guess I will also have to replace the chainring as well. I will have to settle for a chainring without the ramps however.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
New chainring?

daniell said:
While cycling today I noticed what was causing the problem. While under pressure the chain would come off the middle chainring. I guess I will also have to replace the chainring as well. I will have to settle for a chainring without the ramps however.
Not necessarily. It could just be a very worn out chain. Measure the chain with a ruler - 24 links should be less than 12 & 1/16 inches, and certainly less than 12 & 1/8. Replace the chain and see how things work before replacing the chain rings.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chainring

I have an eight speed setup. Is there a difference between a 9 speed chainring and an 8 speed chainring?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Differences

daniell said:
Is there a difference between a 9 speed chainring and an 8 speed chainring?
Not that you'd notice. You should look at your chain rings for "shark fin" tooth profiles, which would say that the ring is worn out and needs replacing. Still, check your chain, replace if worn, and then decide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts