Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few weeks, my right shifter (shimano ultegra) has been getting stuck when shifting from a 15 tooth gear to a lower gear. I have been spraying WD-40 and it works for maybe one ride. I also tighted the cassette and cleaned it, along with the chain. So my only conclusion at this point is that my shifter is toast. Should I start looking for a replacement or is there still hope. I estimate this shifter has seen aproximately 15k-17k miles.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
mexican-JUMPING-frijoles said:
For the last few weeks, my right shifter (shimano ultegra) has been getting stuck when shifting from a 15 tooth gear to a lower gear. I have been spraying WD-40 and it works for maybe one ride. I also tighted the cassette and cleaned it, along with the chain. So my only conclusion at this point is that my shifter is toast. Should I start looking for a replacement or is there still hope. I estimate this shifter has seen aproximately 15k-17k miles.
Check your cable and housing. May only need to be cleaned/lubed, or they may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Beyond WD-40

You need to add some lube as well. Besides checking the cables and casings for friction, shoot some oil or TriFlow into the shifter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
and before you shell out your hard earned $$ have a bike mechanic who solves these problems look at it- it may be a $25 solution...

·
Registered
318 Posts
What year is your gear?

I read somewhere that a certain year'de model, the one before flight deck was introduced, I think it was 2000 has this problem. Something to do with an internal screw getting loose. I have the same model but don't have the same problem yet...

Go to a Shimano Service Centre for help..... however I fear they might just ask you to change your shifter.

Regards,
Sean

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I have been spraying WD-40 and it works for maybe one ride
Well, that's what happens when you spray a solvent into something that needs a lubricant. WD-40 is about 95% kerosene. Not worth $hit for lubrication.

Try using a lubricant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts