Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got my first road bike last week and had a blast over the weekend.

There's one question that I have. When I test drove a few bikes (at a different store than the one I bought from), all of them have the shift trimming function.

When I picked up my road bike, I noticed that it shifts all gears by "single clicking". Is this ok or do I need to adjust something/bring it back to the store? Honestly, I'm not very used to this "double clicking"; but am a little worried if something is wrong.

The bike is a Cannondale R1000 compact.
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6RR1C.html

Thanks!
David

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have an ultegra triple on my bike. I think shifting is meant to be acheived with a single click. You use trimming on your front shifter when you have your chain rubbing on the front deraileur cage. To trim, as you **** up on the back, use the left (front) down shifter. do half a click (half a push). This will realign the deraileur cage and centre the chain. do the opposite (a soft push on the up left shifter) when you return to shift down on the back.

Jibberish i guess. Play with it. you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have not seen a trim function work on a triple. (except mtb grip shift)

Not sure what you are meaning about single click or double click, but when I trim the front, it does not click. It does click when I put it back to it's normal position. All of my complete shifts are a single click.

The only place that I can trim is when I am on the small ring and dropping to the little cogs in back. I don't have a trim location for anything on the big ring.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I trim my my front when in the small and middle rings and the outside half of the cogset. Mine also does not click (or if it does, I don't hear it) when trimming up, but does click when resetting to the untrimmed position. When clicking back to the untrimmed position on the middle ring, I usually trim up a bit just before clicking back down. This seems to help avoid accidentally shifting down to the small ring.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
One more reason front der's shouldn't be indexed....

Abbreviated version of rant follows:

Makes no damn sense to index a front derailleur. It's like indexing a light switch. I slapped the shifter and derailleur on my Atlantis four years/10,000 miles ago, adjusted them in about 20 seconds and haven't thought about them since.

(5,000-word tirade on the superfluity of indexing available on request).

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Now DAT'S funny

fouadaswad said:
To trim, as you **** up on the back, use the left (front) down shifter. do half a click (half a push).

I'm assuming that you dropped an "F" from the word "shift" and got sensored. Funny dat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Got it all figured out now.

Yeah, from riding mtb I was a little surprised that index shifting requires "fudging". I guess the road FD cage has to be designed so narrow that it won't accept a wide chain angle.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Cory said:
Abbreviated version of rant follows:

Makes no damn sense to index a front derailleur. It's like indexing a light switch. I slapped the shifter and derailleur on my Atlantis four years/10,000 miles ago, adjusted them in about 20 seconds and haven't thought about them since.

(5,000-word tirade on the superfluity of indexing available on request).
:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.