Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shifting troubles please help-solved

I just changed from a nine speed setup to a ten speed setup. I can not get the bike to shift to the 11 tooth gear with the liimit screw backed all the way out.

I am running Simano shifters 7801, shimano RD 7800, 10 speed ultegra cassette, Mavic wheel, kmcx 10sl, and a Specialized Roubaix. The derailleur hanger is straight and the bike shifted fine with the nine-speed cassette.

So what am I doing wrong?

· Registered
414 Posts
Bianchi Ti said:
I just changed from a nine speed setup to a ten speed setup. I can not get the bike to shift to the 11 tooth gear with the liimit screw backed all the way out.

I am running Simano shifters 7801, shimano RD 7800, 10 speed ultegra cassette, Mavic wheel, kmcx 10sl, and a Specialized Roubaix. The derailleur hanger is straight and the bike shifted fine with the nine-speed cassette.

So what am I doing wrong?
What parts did you change out? the shifters, RD and cassette? You might have the cable too taught, making it so that it can't reach the small gear... I'd start over again on the cable adjustment and go from there.

· Registered
21,867 Posts
Things to try

Bianchi Ti said:
Actually that's what is weird, even without the cable attached it will not move far enough out to go to the 11 tooth.
Will it move far enough to get to the 11 if you push it by hand? If yes, that would suggest a good cleaning and lubrication is in order - do the chain as well. If it won't go to the small cog in any case, then your claim of an un-bent hanger is dubious. IME, the small cog is VERY close to the frame, and yet the limit screw cannot be backed all the way out or the chain will be too far to the right, so it is unlikely that there is any other explanation.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Bianchi Ti said:
Oh yea and that is exactly what I changed Shifters, RD, and Cassette.
10 speed chain?

If you still have the old RD, give that a try (9-speed will work).

It seems like this would make it go the other way, but?? Some Mavic hubs required a spacer for Shimano-9. The new Shimano-10 cassettes requires a spacer on a 9-speed hub. You may need both.

TF

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out. The washer with the ninety degree bend that fixes the derailleur cable had turned and was preventing the cage from moving all the way out. I actually am a little suprised that I haven't heard of this happening to others because the washer turned very easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.