Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of chatter about Shimano going to a different cable pull/leverage ratio when they came out with the 105 5700 groupo. Most of that information/advice is pretty old and some of it is contradictory. Looking for a couple of simple (I think) answers:

1. Using 105 5600 brifters as a given, will the braking feel more powerful or less powerful if the calipers are changed from 5600 to 5700?

2. Assuming it is one or the other, what adjustment in pad to rim distance would help offset the change in braking feel/performance?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I've read a lot of chatter about Shimano going to a different cable pull/leverage ratio when they came out with the 105 5700 groupo. Most of that information/advice is pretty old and some of it is contradictory. Looking for a couple of simple (I think) answers:

1. Using 105 5600 brifters as a given, will the braking feel more powerful or less powerful if the calipers are changed from 5600 to 5700?

2. Assuming it is one or the other, what adjustment in pad to rim distance would help offset the change in braking feel/performance?
Newer generation Shimano shifters pull more cable. Newer Shimano brake calipers need more cable pull to have the same action. Therefore, the setup you describe will make the brakes feel spongy and possibly have inadequate braking performance. Not recommended.

The other way around (newer shifters, older calipers) will make the brakes grabby and not give you much modulation. Not great, but better than the other way.

Edit: See correction in last paragraph - newer shifters, older calipers. Brain fart, LOL!

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
I have lots of miles and many years on bikes and the real world, I've found the differences to be slight. I run 6800 calipers with 7800 levers and with that setup the brakes have better modulation and are easier to 'feather'.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I have lots of miles and many years on bikes and the real world, I've found the differences to be slight. I run 6800 calipers with 7800 levers and with that setup the brakes have better modulation and are easier to 'feather'.
Interesting. And you don't find braking inadequate? Did you have to adjust the calipers closer to the braking surfaces?

·
1,456 Posts
Interesting. And you don't find braking inadequate? Did you have to adjust the calipers closer to the braking surfaces?
I have 23mm rims and use Kool Stop salmon pads. The brakes are more than adequate for the hills and mountains we have in our area. I adjust the pad clearance to what feels right for me. Like I said, in real world use there's not much difference when you mix different generations of brakes and levers. Not to me anyway.

IMO a very big contributor to the success in mixing brake/shifters is the use of KoolStop salmon pads.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I have 23mm rims and use Kool Stop salmon pads. The brakes are more than adequate for the hills and mountains we have in our area. I adjust the pad clearance to what feels right for me. Like I said, in real world use there's not much difference when you mix different generations of brakes and levers. Not to me anyway.

IMO a very big contributor to the success in mixing brake/shifters is the use of KoolStop salmon pads.
Interesting. So it sounds like many of the compatibility warnings are mostly a way to sell more components when you don't really need them.

·
1,456 Posts
Interesting. So it sounds like many of the compatibility warnings are mostly a way to sell more components when you don't really need them.
No, I think that, in this case, the involved lawyers write these warnings/cautions for the lowest common denominator.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
No, I think that, in this case, the involved lawyers write these warnings/cautions for the lowest common denominator.
Oh yes, CYA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts