Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

New to road biking. Been a mountain biker for years. I recently got a 2005 LeMond Tourmalet for a great price. As I have begun training for a big ride, and started riding this bike on a regular basis, I have had to figure out the shifting system (Shimano 105) on my own, as it's way different than my old mountain bike system.

Anyway, I seem to be having a problem with the front derailleur (Shimano 105). It's a triple, and I can shift onto the small and middle cog, but not on to the largest outside cog. I took a peek at Shimano's website instructions for the front derailleur and it sounded like maybe the front derailleur was not placed correctly over the cogs when the was assembled? Or is it maybe a cabling thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Todd.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Try this first: Shift into your granny ring. Then test the cable tension with your finger. If you feel any slack, take the slack out with your barrel adjuster. My bet is that'll do it.

If that doesn't work, go back to square 1. Goto the park tool website. Find the front derailleur intstallation and adjustment section. Disconnect your shift cable and follow the instructions in order (important) just as if you were installing the derailleur for the first time. That will work for sure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think you're headed in the right direction...

...meaning that the FD needs to be (a) aligned over the chainrings (I didn't say "straight" because the derailleur cage is curved...see the Shimano site for details) (b) high enough above the big ring so it can get the chain up there but not so high that it throws it over the side.

There's some other possibilities, and I gotta say I'm having some fine tuning issues with 105 FD (on a Trek 5000) that I never had on Shimano Ultegra...but it's probably just adjustment stuff. What are my symptoms? When I set the high limit screw (chain on the smallest cog in back, big ring in the front), I can't seem to get the derailleur cage to clear the big ring, even if I wind the screw way out. How could that be? Because there's space between the screw and the derailleur, meaning that the cage wants to go out more, but can't do it. Solution: not enough cable tension (I hope), which I plan to fix tonight. Of course, you don't want so much cable tension that the opposite number happens (chain won't go down to the small ring even if the low limit screw says it will). So I'm going to experiment with that tonight.

Just as an FYI, the bike came with an Ultegra RD, which usually works just fine...but I was having chain jump (not chain skip from one cog to another...chain jumps straight up and off the cog when you get out of the saddle and put some weight on the pedals.) I've seen this problem elsewhere in these forums. I checked the high/low limit screws on the RD and they were fine...chain still jumping. Next thing to look at, as mentioned in whatever reply I was looking at, is a tight link in the chain. Sure enough, there it was.

The Trek 5000, IMHO, was a great package at the price point, but Trek really cheesed out on a couple of things, most notably the chain, whatever in the hell is was supposed to be. I couldn't even push out a link pin with a sturdy Park chain tool...had to cut the chain off with a bolt cutter. Replaced it with an SRAM Nickel Plated 9 speed chain (as recommended by Excel Sports in Boulder...more compatible with Shimano than the Wippermans I was using) and happy shifting thereafter....

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
For SKIRACER

Good advice for the original poster. I had a simililar problem with an old cross bike with a triple set up. Just wouldn't get up onto the big ring. I fixed the problem with some "in-line cable adjusters". When I needed the big ring I would twist my adjuster to increase cable tension. Just remember to back off the tension when you leave the big ring. You can place the adjusters anywhere on the cable. Mine were close to my STI's. When I later switched to barend shifters the problem went away. I think they have more pull than the STI's. Either way, thought I'd offer some alternatives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.