Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 105 hydros on my Ridley and they started quiet but have turned into insanely rattly and scraping brakes. i have goof around with the free stroke and pad centering and piston resetting and such but each time the noise comes back when i am climbing or sprinting and then it gets worse. I am 80% sure it is the pads floating around and just bouncing off the rotor, but it sounds horrible.

I am thinking that the little spring clamp deal that goes between the pads has lost its spring or isn't springing back hard enough to hold the pads away from the rotor.

Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions to this? I like the disc road thing but this is something I thought I would not get on a disc bike. I certainly don't get it on my mountain bikes but of course none of those have shimano brakes.

And for what it is worth, I can't see that the free stroke adjustment on the Shimano 505 level brake lever does anything. I adjusted it between extremes and it made no difference on the lever contact point.

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
Do you have QR or thru axle? Are they tight? What you describe sounds like a wheel that's moving in the dropouts.

You're not the only one who can't figure out what the free stroke adjustment does. I'm lucky to see 1mm change.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a through axle, they are tight. It really sounds like the pads are just bouncing around. It really starts if I get out of the saddle or put in a hard big ring grinder. Then they will just creak, chirp and grind for quite awhile.

I'm going to pull the pads and spread out the spring between to see if it will hold out the pads from the rotor some.

I might return the free stroke back to the original position, as I really noticed no distance change. I got better adjustment using the reach adjust.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went out and gave the brakes another shot. It seems that the spring that holds that pads apart was pretty squished. I spread it some and took it for a short ride and it is much quieter, it still scrapes when i get on top of it but it isn't zinging whilst I ride so that is a plus. I also trued the front rotor which had a nice warp in it.

What i get from buying a bike from Performance. Good bike, great price, shitty assembly.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I just went out and gave the brakes another shot. It seems that the spring that holds that pads apart was pretty squished. I spread it some and took it for a short ride and it is much quieter, it still scrapes when i get on top of it but it isn't zinging whilst I ride so that is a plus. I also trued the front rotor which had a nice warp in it.

What i get from buying a bike from Performance. Good bike, great price, shitty assembly.
I was going to suggest truing the rotor - I've had to do that - easy to spot when it's an issue. Scraping when you get on top of it seems odd unless something isn't tight.

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
I was going to suggest truing the rotor - I've had to do that - easy to spot when it's an issue. Scraping when you get on top of it seems odd unless something isn't tight.
It's also possible that the brake mounts need facing. If the mounts aren't machined perfectly square to the rotor, then never line up properly no matter how true the rotor is.

There's a specific tool for this. I'm not sure it's something that Performance Bike would have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ROPs4xbXs

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spread the brake pad springs out a bit last night and it made an immeasurable difference. I still get a little rubbing under power but as the axles are tight and the frame is new I suspect it is just torque twisting the chainstays and fork. I am not a small guy and this used to happen on my other bikes where under sprinting conditions my computer magnet would hit the sensor and my brakes would rub on my CX bike. Just a short coming of being heavier than average.

I am going to try to open the spring up a little more with some needle nose pliers and see if it can stop all the noise. Unfortunately my bike came with the non-finned brake pads and I am betting the finned brake pads fit a little snugger with their larger back plates. Once these wear out I will try them and see if it makes a difference. I do think the front fork needs facing and will probably bring the bike to a LBS and get it faced. I have a heck of a time getting it lined up, where as the flat mount rear lines up without a hitch. Perhaps it is because the fork isn't true flat mount and uses the adapter plate or perhaps it is just facing, either way once I get the rotor dead straight and the pads lined up I'm hoping for a quiet ride. The potential of the disk brake for me hasn't matched my transition from v's to disks back in the day on my mountain bike.

At least I have all summer to get it sorted til winter and the Seattle rains test the true potential of the discs.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I spread the brake pad springs out a bit last night and it made an immeasurable difference.
That's too bad. I would have thought it would have made a significant difference. ;)

Another thing I have found helps is to keep the pistons clean. They tend to accumulate dust (or ground up brake pad material) and then become slower to retract.

Amazon has the finned F01 organic pads for $17.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's too bad. I would have thought it would have made a significant difference. ;)

Another thing I have found helps is to keep the pistons clean. They tend to accumulate dust (or ground up brake pad material) and then become slower to retract.
Yeah I guess it was quite measurable as it was a very enjoyable ride without all the grinding and such! Might check out metallic pads next as I think these are the organics and while they are good at stopping with all the hills I suspect they will have a pretty short life. Alternately I may mix and match, metallics up front and organics out back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts