Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this video yesterday where he talks about the new 5700 group, the brake lever pulls a lot more cable than the previous version.

I'm thinking of a winter projects, taking my old 26" mountain bike, and adding drop bars and a newer 11 speed drivetrain. Will this increased cable pull be enough to work with V-brakes, or am I going to have to put my old cantilevers back on?

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
Saw this video yesterday where he talks about the new 5700 group, the brake lever pulls a lot more cable than the previous version.

I'm thinking of a winter projects, taking my old 26" mountain bike, and adding drop bars and a newer 11 speed drivetrain. Will this increased cable pull be enough to work with V-brakes, or am I going to have to put my old cantilevers back on?
That video is 11yrs old. 5700 came out in 2010. And it's 10 speed.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I said, "and assuming 5800".

Thanks for your help.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's in the thread title.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,439 Posts
Hmmm. It might work. Not sure if the increased pull in the 5700 series is as much as mountain bike V-brakes. At worst, the braking power would be reduced, but probably not too severely.

And if you are indeed looking into new/old stock for this project, I would definitely look for 5800 over 5700. The shift quality of 5800 is leagues better than 5700.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about a pull ratio adapter. I've never used one, but they've been around forever.

Yeah, came across those in my research. Other places said the new pull of the Shimano brakes still isn't enough for V-brakes. And I'm kinda leaning towards the cantis anyway. Kinda got that old school cool about them. Never really complained about their braking power before when I first rode this mountain bike, so we'll see. Nice set of cantis

May need new pads though, and maybe eventually I'll get a new set of Tektro Oryx to try out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, came across those in my research. Other places said the new pull of the Shimano brakes still isn't enough for V-brakes. And I'm kinda leaning towards the cantis anyway. Kinda got that old school cool about them. Never really complained about their braking power before when I first rode this mountain bike, so we'll see. Nice set of cantis

May need new pads though, and maybe eventually I'll get a new set of Tektro Oryx to try out.
Any of the 10speed shifters will not pull enough with V-brakes. Stopping power depends on what you plan to do with this bike & if it will be an issue or not. If your riding includes some road with downhills, then cantis are not the way to go. I would suggest mini V-brakes with any Shimano 11spd shifters. It will give you plenty of stopping power with good modulation. I found that with 10speed shifters, the lever bottoms out quite easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts