Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having some issues (still am) with the pads not releasing all the way back off to original position. I unbolted the caliper from the frame to clean it. Although it got a little better it still does not fully release. Now I notice some definite play in the caliper. Where the right (rear) pad is housed. That whole assembly has well over 1/16" of play. All bolts are fully secured. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
I was having some issues (still am) with the pads not releasing all the way back off to original position. I unbolted the caliper from the frame to clean it. Although it got a little better it still does not fully release. Now I notice some definite play in the caliper. Where the right (rear) pad is housed. That whole assembly has well over 1/16" of play. All bolts are fully secured. What did I do wrong? Thanks.
The simple check on brakes that don't snap back open is to disconnect the cable. If the brake works fine then the problem is in the cable or lever. Otherwise it's the brake. The problem could be just needing cleaning & lubrication (or just lubrication) or it could be that the pivot nut is too tight. Different brakes have different designs so you have to look at your specific brake to see where the issue is. If one or the other side of the caliper is wobbly (which I THINK is what you are describing) then the pivot nut is loose.

Go to Shimano and look up the rear brake to find out what things should look like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pivot bolt was too loose. I loosened it up too much when attempting to solve the lack of return issue. I just tightened it back up and the brake is still returning to home position.
How often should I be looking at replacing cables and housing? Sometimes I commute in the rain and it's been a year.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
The pivot bolt was too loose. I loosened it up too much when attempting to solve the lack of return issue. I just tightened it back up and the brake is still returning to home position.
How often should I be looking at replacing cables and housing? Sometimes I commute in the rain and it's been a year.
You probably should be lubing the cables a couple of times per year. Some people recommend not lubing cables but I have had great luck doing it and my cables/casings last a long time. I use a thin coat of light grease and then oil on top of it. You just pull the cable through the casing, lube the cable, and then tread it back through. I replace cable and casing together because typically by the time one is shot so is the other. Look for frayed cables, kinks in the cable or housing, rust, cracks in the plastic casing covers, excess friction that you can't eliminate with a clean & lube.

Some people will blanket say to replace cables/casings every year and some will even give you a mileage figure. Some of their numbers would have me replacing 3X per year but I typically replace about every 3 years. That's nonsense because riding conditions, maintenance, and the quality of the cables and casing all have a big influence. Inspect regularly and replace when warranted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.