Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks gents but I think it is broke

I tried pressing the inner lever more force than usual and I removed the cable tension and tried to pull the cable etc etc. It's actually stuck on the smallest chainring and won't shift up. So I assume it's broke. I'll visit my LBS tomorrow. Hopefully they don't give me a hard time cause I didn't buy it from them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
frdfandc said:
BTW, I've found out from experience that using the front shifter on a trainer can break the 2/3x shifters. I broke 3 in one hour at work one day trying to dial in the FD.
That's what I was doing before I did my fit. I seemed to work seamlessly and then I shift down during my fit and then it won't shift back up. You would think that shimano really shouldn't have advertised these as 2/3 shifters... I dunno I may have set it up wrong but like I said it was working seamlessly. I am using it as a double and it seems like they are breaking when ppl are trying to do that.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
THATmanMANNY said:
Thanks gents but I think it is broke

I tried pressing the inner lever more force than usual and I removed the cable tension and tried to pull the cable etc etc. It's actually stuck on the smallest chainring and won't shift up. So I assume it's broke. I'll visit my LBS tomorrow. Hopefully they don't give me a hard time cause I didn't buy it from them.
If the LBS does give you grief you can go another route and contact Shimano yourself.
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/warranty3.html
Look under "In all other cases".

Good luck!!

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I was doing a fit for a customer, and noticed that the FD wasn't shifting just right. So I was trying to get the FD dialed in. Didn't work.

When riding on the road, you let up a little on the pedaling to allow the chain to shift. When on a trainer, you really can't "let up" to make the shift.

I should have worded it better. Or added that once the FD is dialed in properly, then it will shift fine on a trainer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just gotta second that many of these are probably breaking when the drive train is adjusted so that your 2nd shift to the what would be the largest gear is not limited correctly so it does not propperly shift to the doubles 2nd chain ring. Prompting the use of the thrird partial shift straining against that limiting screw. So if it feels like it doesn't want to shift instead of forcing it break out the screwdriver and adjust that limiter screw. Or just bring a lighter with you if you were foolish like me in the cold.
My bike shifts relibly on a 2-3 shifter (I broke my rear one) and this drive train is from a caad4 from 2000 with lots of km's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link. Well, good thing I make my LBS appearances here and there and they warrantyed it right away for me. Got on the phone and put it in the package while I was there. But that was 3 weeks ago. Still no shifter in :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just to add another data point - the 105 left shifter on my 09 Felt Z35 broke on the way to work today after 5 months and 1700 miles. I was hoping it was just stuck, but I coaxed a broken pawl piece out of the innards. The LBS mechanic wasn't familiar with this issue. I mentioned getting a double-only shifter, but have a feeling I'll end up with a 2/3 replacement.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Shimano is sending out correct shifters. However, it must be stated by the person making the warranty call to Shimano if the bike is double or triple equipped. Shimano will send out the proper shifter.

So if you have a double, and Shimano is told that its a double, you will get a double shifter. Not a 2/3 replacement. They are not making them any more.

Downside, Shimano is filling cash orders before warranty orders. So it might take some time to get your shifter in. I've waited as long as 3 months, but currently its been approx 2-3 weeks turn around time.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I want to add a correct to my last post. As of today - 11/04/2009, Shimano is on a 2-3 DAY turnaround time for warranty 105 shifters. I just ordered 2 today and Shimano told me I should have them by Monday at the latest.

·
Menace to Society
627 Posts
frdfandc said:
Downside, Shimano is filling cash orders before warranty orders. So it might take some time to get your shifter in. I've waited as long as 3 months, but currently its been approx 2-3 weeks turn around time.
Actually
Shimano doesn't have these for sale, only warranty replacement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My LBS called and Shimano indicated they are out of double 105 shifters until the end of November. They sent a triple instead. Kind of a hassle for both me and the LBS, but kudos to Shimano for at least getting me back on the road until the correct shifter is available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
to frdfandc.Just how do you adjust a 3 ring to work on a 2 ring? I had a jam but got it to release, I want to avoid another....Thank you

·
3,493 Posts
Len Ciccone said:
to frdfandc.Just how do you adjust a 3 ring to work on a 2 ring? I had a jam but got it to release, I want to avoid another....Thank you
Follow these instructions from MisterMike. If your jammed 105 shifter fails, get a warranty replacement through your LBS or directly from Shimano USA.

·
3,493 Posts
Len Ciccone said:
thank you for the quick reply,seems a little tedious ,but right now I don't have any trim although it is shifting ok.
Can you say exactly which components you are using? i.e. shifter model, front derailleur, and cranks? I ended up in a similar situations when I was using a triple Ultegra shifter, triple Ultegra FD and double Ultegra cranks. I ended up swapping out the tripled FD to a double FD and that fixed the problem for me.

If you don't have any trim in the big ring that would probably mean that your top limit screw is too tight. Of course it needs to be tight enough not to over-shift off the chain-ring. Can you see the FD moving when you change trim positions? I'm afraid, you really need to work your way methodically through the list if you want it to work right. It isn't all that time consuming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The shifter is st 5600. I have one big twist from small to large front rings. I'm almost afraid to adjust for available trim because of the jams I have been having. The heck of it is , I bought on line...no help from seller with shifter replacement, even though it is new and defective...

·
3,493 Posts
Len Ciccone said:
The shifter is st 5600. I have one big twist from small to large front rings. I'm almost afraid to adjust for available trim because of the jams I have been having. The heck of it is , I bought on line...no help from seller with shifter replacement, even though it is new and defective...
This is of course the downside of buying on-line (unless you pick a reputable company to do business with). It amazes me how little people value the warranty and service aspects of a purchase.

This is a common 105 failure mode, and I doubt that your average on-line seller (e.g. ebay vendor) is going to have much sympathy.

Anyway, you probably have to (1) tough it out with what you have, (2) go to your LBS or other knowledgeable bike mechanic and see if they can set it up better than you, or (3) wait for a failure or force a failure, and then attempt warranty replacement with Shimano (perhaps difficult if you did not buy from a Shimano authorized reseller.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
BikeFixer said:
Actually
Shimano doesn't have these for sale, only warranty replacement.

Not selling to the public yet. But selling to the bike manufacturers for the 2010 lineups.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts