Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shimano 105 left shifter

I had 2 shimano 105 left shifters break on me in a 24 hour period! On my 3rd on now and praying!!!:(

·
Registered
27 Posts
105 shifters

What your saying is that the 105 shifter is no good? I have a 2006 lemond reno and is i think equiped with 105 shifters. The covers are silver. I only have about 200 miles on her, she is a triple ring. Is this problem more with doubles than with triples.If not coverd under warranty, What would be the cost to replace or what would you upgrade to. I bouht the bike new , But due to an illness and having another bike at the time, I'm just starting to ride the Reno.

·
Registered
27 Posts
105 shifters

I have a 2006 lemond reno. I beleave it has 105 shifters, the covers are silver, if this matters. She is a triple crank. is this problem of breaking shifters more with doulbles or triples. I' m not having a problem as of yet.The bike only has 200 miles on her , due to an illness and another bike. I have just started riding her the reno is now the only bike I have. if the shifters are not coverd under warranty, How much for new ones, and what could i upgrade to.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
hunter1 said:
What your saying is that the 105 shifter is no good? I have a 2006 lemond reno and is i think equiped with 105 shifters. The covers are silver. I only have about 200 miles on her, she is a triple ring. Is this problem more with doubles than with triples.If not coverd under warranty, What would be the cost to replace or what would you upgrade to. I bouht the bike new , But due to an illness and having another bike at the time, I'm just starting to ride the Reno.
IME the 105 shifter problem being described occurs when running doubles. The left shifter is double/ triple compatible, so if it's not adjusted properly it allows for an over shift (onto a nonexistent third ring) and jams.

Generally speaking, the shifters perform well and are durable, so unless you're itching to spend money to solve a problem you don't have, keep the 105 shifters. With your setup you won't see any functional differences going to Ultegra.

EDIT:
According to Bikepedia, your bike is OEM equipped with Tiagra shifters.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=LeMond&Model=Reno+Triple&Type=bike

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
just blew my right 105, took a good six or seven thousand miles, i dont know what happened, but mech is sure its shot. maybe two bucks. phuck.

with the lefty i stayed on the big rings yesterday, up the hills too, it was all good, but man i f uckin felt it this morning, i need my rear derailleur back, lbs says maybe soon. keep u posted

·
Registered
83 Posts
PJ352 said:
I disagree. It's already 'broken' and the OP has the option to warranty it. Beyond that, adding slack to the cable defeats the purpose of using that tension to free the shifter. Your method almost guarantees it'll remain locked in position. Again, the method described has worked for me on several occasions.
I had the same problem with my allez about 2 days after I bought it. Took PJ's advice and it works fine now. Thanks PJ

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
interesting to hear that someone got a nine speed 5600 replacement out of shimano, my lbs told me they were all gone

anyway, i finally got a hold of a 5500, took quite a bit to track it down. lbs says the only real difference between the 56 and the 55 is the silver, as opposed to the black cover. hated to lose the black cover, color scheme on my allez elite with the easton wheels is black/red/white --looks and flies like a jet, but i would rather have my shifts on the rear derailleur than keep the cover and not be able to use the shifter. good two bucks for the 55.

lbs installed it, gonna pick it up tomorrow and go for a spin. moral of the story?

you cannot repair a broken 105 shifter. if it is a nine speed the only fix is to downgrade to tiagra nine speed, or upgrade the whole train to 105 ten speed. it kinda sucks, cause there are a lot of guys with great bikes out there who are going to learn this lesson the hard way. had me using the big rings up front for about a month, which was cool, but even so, i pretty much needed the cassette, not being able to shift back there was driving me nuts. ultimately, shimano has made the decision to go ten speed, the nine speed tiagra will be gone soon, too. so buyer beware tiagra nine, not to mention 105 nine speeds--there are, few, and soon there will be no, fixes available.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
what a difference a new shifter makes.

fuk that 55 is smoooooth baby. like butter in the back.

good deal. c u later guys i'm going for a ride

41 - 51 of 51 Posts