Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some trouble with my Shimano 105 STI brake/shifter lever.

I am not sure if its broken or the cable just messed up somehow. How do i open up to shifter to find out? (As in, I want to look at the front end of the shifter cable.

This component looks tricky to open.

tips?

G

·
I haven't opened a 105 recently and I am not sure of your version but from what I remember there is a small screw there holding a plastic piece on, once you remove that screw and the plastic cover you will be able to view the end of the shift cable and remove it if necessary, assuming its disconnected on the other end.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my cable is loose and it got jammed into one of the positions. I can't get it out, ugh. Dam shimano.

How do i get my cable out? I removed the silver 105 logo cover, that doesnt do anything. Theres a black screw on top, but it doesnt look like its holding anything. Theres a screw on the side, that is holding two plastic pieces, but those dont reveal the cable.

Help?

2007 105 model.

·
Registered
579 Posts
try forcing the smaller lever inward, as if you were releasing cable tension (assuming this is the left shifter, act as though you're dropping to the little ring).

only reason i'm saying this is because it is the only issue i have seen with 105 shifters.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been clicking both things a million times. Are you saying I should try forcing it past its limit?

When I look at the gear things inside the shifter, there are three "gears" the first one is loose and moves around. the 2nd one controls the big lever, and the 3rd one controls the small one.

I think its the first one that is effed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.