Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fietser
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/news/02-03

"Shimano 2007 rumour season starts

If it's February, then it must be time for rumours to start to circulate about what Shimano's R&D department has up its sleeve for us for next year. It's looking extremely likely that there will be a new XTR group for 2007. This isn't terribly surprising as the current version went on sale in late 2002 and Shimano usually runs to four or five year product cycles.

But it's not just time for a new XTR. The Giant MTB team recently attended a training camp in Schladming, Austria and in between skiing and snowboarding, they spent some time testing bikes equipped with the new XTR components. Giant USA expects to have bikes with the components on show at Sea Otter. "Two words: Brand New XTR... well... maybe that's three, but you get the point," Giant's communications manager Andrew Juskaitis told Cyclingnews. "Adam Craig will be the poster boy for the sweet new stuff."

Sea Otter's not till April 6-9, but we'd be surprised - nay, astonished - if more details haven't leaked by then."

Anyone have any scoop on the "new" XTR?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yep. They are going to make an upgrade to make sure it actually shifts correctly. To accomplish this they are going back to 8 speed. :D :D :D

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
cdmc said:
Yep. They are going to make an upgrade to make sure it actually shifts correctly. To accomplish this they are going back to 8 speed. :D :D :D
the world (or at least the retro grouch's) will beat a path to the person who makes a modern version of the awesome 8-speed systems of 10 years ago. I'm still running record 8-speed on my road bike, but was forced to go to 9-speed on my mtn bike...sad...I have never gotten my 9-sp to shift as well as the 8 did...

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
cdmc said:

Wrong direction. Word is that it is now going to 10-Speed...

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
You would think one of the major manufacturers would make a top of the line 8 speed system for mountain biking. INine speed is torture in muddy and dirty conditions.

·
Registered
401 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Leave it to Shimano to "improve" something that doesn't need improvement. First they replace flawless, perfectly refined Rapidfire shifters with flippy levers, and now it's looking like the new drivetrains will have even <i>less</i> resistance to mud and wear.

One can only imagine what comes next. Their brakes work beautifully.....perhaps they can "improve" those...

·
Registered
638 Posts
teoteoteo said:
I figured as much. I just bought new 8 speed XT triggers to go with my new 12-32 Steel XTR cassette. My 8 speed shifts so much better than the 9 speed on the MTB that it isn't even funny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts