Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the choices I am considering for my Orbea Onix "made to order" bike, and I really don't know much about them at all. I don't race and don't need the absolute lightest wheels, but I do want really good wheels without breaking the bank. I know wheels are very important so I don't want to skimp in this area, but there is often a law of diminishing returns and I was wondering what people thought of any of these.

Thanks!

Peter

·
Registered
675 Posts
peterm1 said:
These are the choices I am considering for my Orbea Onix "made to order" bike, and I really don't know much about them at all. I don't race and don't need the absolute lightest wheels, but I do want really good wheels without breaking the bank. I know wheels are very important so I don't want to skimp in this area, but there is often a law of diminishing returns and I was wondering what people thought of any of these.

Thanks!

Peter
Among those four, I would say the Rolf's are the best all-around. Among the pre-built "boutiques", the Rolf wheels seem to be the best value. I've been to their little factory here in Eugene, and they're pretty big on carefully building and tensioning their wheels and providing thorough documentation. Customer service has been excellent IME, and they provide a good warranty and crash-replacement program. The actual benifits from all their little patented features (paired spokes, hub shell design, etc.) are somewhat arguable, but they use mostly standard parts, so service is easier.

I personally hate Shimano wheels; I've always thought they were overpriced garbage. Shimano customer service and tech support has been hit or miss for me, and I've replaced enough spokes on the lateral cross-over laced wheels to severly loathe them. It seems that lacing pattern has been abandoned by Shimano, but their proprietary parts, heavy weight and high price make me wonder why people buy them. Just my opinion. HTH.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts