Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...The twice-coiled return spring on my Shimano 600 front (rim) brake broke the other day.
It's probably 35 years old, so no big surprise. Wanted to replace it because the bike is otherwise fine.
My LBS was no help. I found a Shimano Ultegra return spring that looked exactly the same shape-wise on Ebay so I bought it. On receipt, I noted that the gauge (diameter) of the metal is only about 1/2 that of the original wire part. Will this cause a big problem? Obviously it will be less "springy". This was the only suitable replacement piece that I found after making an internet search. Should I just go ahead and use it? Is a more correct part available somewhere that I don't know about? Thanks...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Aside from less return force and compromised lever feel, another issue with smaller wire diameter is that it may not stay put when installed in the caliper as both ends are designed for larger diameter wire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aside from less return force and compromised lever feel, another issue with smaller wire diameter is that it may not stay put when installed in the caliper as both ends are designed for larger diameter wire.
Thank you. That's what I thought. If you faced this problem, what would you do? I could try to replace the entire brake caliper. Do you think that's my best option? And why would they have changed the spring so drastically from 600 to Ultegra. The 600 one is literally twice as thick.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Besides the age, caliper design has evolved significantly since the 600, which I actually owned myself. I would consider going with something a bit newer that simply works better, and will likely cost less as 600s are considered vintage and can command a premium.

Why do new ones use smaller diameter springs? Most likely due to better materials and the effort to reduce weight.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Thank you. That's what I thought. If you faced this problem, what would you do? I could try to replace the entire brake caliper. Do you think that's my best option? And why would they have changed the spring so drastically from 600 to Ultegra. The 600 one is literally twice as thick.
I would install the new spring and go for a few short test rides on the local street. If it works, it works. Otherwise buying a new (used) brake should not be a challenge. It's even possible that a local shop would have a spare in their "recovered parts" box (AKA junk drawer).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts