Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding, my left shifter (Shimano 600) won't drop from the large chain ring to the smaller one. I can get it to work fine on my stand in the shop, but not on the road. I'm stumped as to why?

When I shift the paddle does release (or whatever is going on in there when going from the large chain ring to the smaller one). I was wondering if maybe the spring in my front derailleur could be shot (also 600) such that there isn't enough tension to pull the derailleur back?

Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
What have you tried?

RoadLoad said:
When riding, my left shifter (Shimano 600) won't drop from the large chain ring to the smaller one. I can get it to work fine on my stand in the shop, but not on the road. I'm stumped as to why?

When I shift the paddle does release (or whatever is going on in there when going from the large chain ring to the smaller one). I was wondering if maybe the spring in my front derailleur could be shot (also 600) such that there isn't enough tension to pull the derailleur back?

Thanks for any insights.
The question is, what have you tried so far? If it works OK on the stand but not on the road, then it sounds like you're close. Is the lower limit screw set so that the chain doesn't rub in the small-small combination? If so, maybe moving it just a bit inward would help. Have you lubed the cables and the derailleur pivots? Is the chain clean and properly lubed, and not elongated past the 0.5% point? Are the teeth on your big ring still in good shape and not converted to shark fins due to wear? Does it not work under any circumstance on the road, or only after you pedal lightly and try a couple of times? Is the outer front derailleur cage parallel to the chainrings? Derailleurs are not mysterious black boxes which will not yield their secrets - if you just look at the thing operate you can probably see what the issues are. FYI, it is very rare for a spring to wear out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them all. For such simple machines, bikes sure are complicated (sophisticated....). FYI, last night while spinning, I giggled the cable right at the point where it goes into the shifter and the derailleur moved.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Simplicity

the bull said:
I work on cars too. Trust me, most bikes are just as complicated.
There's a big difference, IMO, in an auto engine where you can't see what is going on until things are completely disassembled, and then you can't watch it operate. With derailleurs, there's no need to take anything apart to see most of it working. If you're willing to study it just a little bit, you will understand how it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
RoadLoad said:

Thanks for any insights.
Try adjusting your cable tension. There is a barrel adjuster by the shifter. Trying tightening that and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts