Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Crash Test Dummy
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an older KHS aero comp last year. It was set for TT/Tri's so has the aero bars and end tube shifters. The bike is set up with all Ultegra 600 components. I have searched and searched and finally found some 600 level STI's (awesome). My question is: How do I know if they are in working condition? I have a shop probably 45 minutes away so just going by on a whim is difficult. What can I do myself to check them out and make sure they are good to go? Or am I going to just have to bite the bullet and go by?

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Oops, they are 600 8spd from the mid 90's. They seem to have good action but are really dirty. Have not installed them yet
There was a thread not long ago that recommended soaking the old levers in liquid WD-40 overnight to clean the old grease and dirt out. Some even said that their malfunctioning shifters worked like new again. I'd give it a shot before installing them.
Hope they work out for you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.