Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running some older WH 6500 wheels (deep rims, 16 spokes, NLA) and have tried Vittoria Rubino Pros and Mich Pro Race tires (23's).... Both are extremely tight fitting - ie a struggle to change. The tires tried were not brand new so had experienced some stretch time on rims. I run Mavic open pros on another bike with no fit struggle. Has anyone found a slightly larger tire? I love pro races but during a long ride on a hot day do not want. a tire change struggle.

Any thoughts are appreciated...... besides toss the wheels. They are fast and smooth.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Good luck. I have a set of Dura Ace 7701 wheels that have the same problem. Michelin are the worst. I've had slightly better luck with Contis' but even they are a pain to mount.

Someone suggested changing the rim strip to a thinner material than the Velox cloth tape.
In theory it makes sense but I've never tried it.

My wheels are now taking up space in the attic because very time I rode with them I worried about getting stranded with a flat.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Just got Curcults and the conti 4000 were the hardest tire i've ever tried to fit. I also have Elites and used Conti 4-seasons and it was no problem. Curcults have wider rimtape and elites have none so go figure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This may sound like a stupid reply and perhaps it is. I saw this in Bicycling a while back. Toss the tires in a dryer for a few minutes to heat them up. Then they should be easier to mount. Never have tried this.

I threw out my Shimano wheels, not because of the tire issue, but the spokes started to rust and it cost $6 per spoke to replace one that broke. But that's another story.

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
Get a BOB

vis8892 said:
This may sound like a stupid reply and perhaps it is. I saw this in Bicycling a while back. Toss the tires in a dryer for a few minutes to heat them up. Then they should be easier to mount.
Given the OP's concern about changing a flat out on the road, he'd also need a BOB trailer to carry the dryer and a VERY long extension cord. Possibly 240v. :)

·
Ironbutt
203 Posts
Tight tires

The Shimano wheels are tight indeed. I don't know about tossing a set of tires into the drier, but I do know that allowing them to sit in the sun on the blacktop drive for a half hour seems to make them a lot easier to mount. Also, when you get the tires, mount them on the rim completly without the inner tube. Then, remove one bead and insert the tube, then remount. It should be quite a bit easier. Additionally, these rims have only eight holes to install the spokes. If you cut the rim strip into lengths of about three inches, and just apply it to cover the holes, it will make tire mounting and changing easier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting idea regarding minimizing the rim tape - if I can pick up a mm of play it might help!

Thanks again for the consideration.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Given the OP's concern about changing a flat out on the road, he'd also need a BOB trailer to carry the dryer and a VERY long extension cord. Possibly 240v. :)
Wouldn't it be possible to just carry around a small butane torch? Maybe just a lighter.....a guy should be able to find some kindling by the side of the rode.....just don't put the tire to close to the flame. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts