Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current bike has Shimano 600EX 6sp freewheel from 1980s threaded to a duraace hub.

anyone have experience using the RaceFace freewheels or the 6/7sp KMC chain that look pretty reasonably priced on amazon?

thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
822 Posts
KMC chains are good.
I'm not aware of raceface freewheels, but you can get new old stock (aka NOS) shimano or suntour 6 speed without too much trouble. They come up all the time on fleabay.
Now, if you are talking raceface chainrings (for the front) I've used them a lot on my oldschool mtb's and they are fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
shimano 7 speed freewheels are widely available, they are on many new entry level bikes. problem is most of them are 14-34, so you need a derailleur that can handle a 34 sprocket. there is also a 13-28 available. sun race also has some, I just bought 2 13-34 from a bkie shop in fort Atkinson, wi. I have several old bikes that started as 6 speed, a 7 speed freewheel should not be a problem. of course, I use friction shifters...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Check that auction site, prices vary and I usually keep on the lookout for the 600EX freewheels myself. I picked up my last ones for about $35 NOS but at times they've sold at $50+.

The SRAM 870 chains also are worth considering. These shift very nicely with the 600EX freewheels and are reasonably quiet. I have aluminum jockey wheels so there is more buzz to the combo than the Shimano composite jockey wheels.

If you are in need of 6SPD DT shifters, that's becoming challenging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.