Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing new Shimano Shifter Pods and need some repair/maintenance advice.

While installing the right shifter pod for the rear deraileur, I placed the shifter cable end through the right hand side of the body and threaded the cable end into the cable (I had already clicked the lever a number of times as instructed to reference the shifter). I noticed that the head of the cable that locks into the shifter body was not seated so I clicked the lever one time so that the head of the cable went nicely into the body (recommended in the instructions).

Instead of pulling on the cable and clicking the shifter lever to reset it fully I clicked it a number of times and the head to the cable disappeared into the body and while trying to make an adjustment the cable must have released from the internal mechanism because it came loose and I pulled the cable back out the way it was inserted.

Now the shifter lever is stuck and will not click (shift) as it did before. The small black lever works but the larger silver lever won't move. As you look into the hole where the cable should be inserted into the body it looks like the internal shifter mechanism is fully rotated as the place where the head of the cable inserted can't be seen but where the cable would rest in its cable guide can be seen.

Is there a quick reset for this shifter series or do I have to open it up? The maintenance procedure on the installation instructions (Shimano website too) discusses a sensor cable and sensor inside the main body of the shifter pod under an access door on the inside of the shifter pod. Could this be where I can go to fix the problem?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem Solved

When the cable slipped out of the shifter pod the winder had no tension to help it wind back so the cable could not be reinserted.

I used a small allen wrench by pushing it against the winder inside the shifter and operated the shift lever. After about 12 times the winder inside the body was in the proper position to reinsert the cable.

The bike is built and the shifter is operating just fine. I have posted a picture of the bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.